Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Omiyage and the Okami and Ryokan Staff 2013/4/9 07:40
Is it considered polite to bring omiyage for the Okami of the ryokan where we are staying? If so, should we bring enough for the staff as well?

Also, I live in Austin, TX (you know lots of live music) and have numerous friends in the music industry. Would a CD from one of our local artist friends be an OK omiyage? Or is it better to stick with edibles?
by Dawn Bates (guest)  

Re: Omiyage and the Okami and Ryokan Staff 2013/4/9 12:04
I should mention that it would be a CD of a female singer/songwriter who plays what most people would consider ''Folk'' music and not anything over the top.
by Dawn Bates (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Omiyage and the Okami and Ryokan Staff 2013/4/9 12:37
Are you going to be staying at one ryokan for an extended period of time, or is there any special reason why you would consider bringing any souvenir?

Normally if it is a real traditional ryokan, you would tip the "okami" upon arrival when either she or her assistant has led you to your room and has sat down to greet you, but I have never given any sourvenirs/gifts to ryokan "okami" or staff.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Omiyage and the Okami and Ryokan Staff 2013/4/9 16:43
This sounds more like something you might do if you stay at a minshuku (more like an inn at someone's home). A lot of ryokan tend to function more like hotels. If that's the kind of cultural exchange you're looking for, maybe poke around at smaller places.
by Buri0110 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread