Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/10 06:28
Probably the media just blowing this up but since the recent news of Japan putting up defence robots in Tokyo for the threat from N Korea I feel a slight uneasyness about going to Japan in a month. I do hope the threats are false but still it feels very bad. I do not want to feel I am going to a possible warzone, I mean, even if just N and S Korea fights (hopefully without nuclear bombs) it ought to affect Japan.
by Nega (guest)  

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/10 16:15
Nega,

Where are you coming from, or in other words, where are you hearing all this news?

Here in Japan, or at least in the Metropolitan area where I live, people are very optimistic. At least, no one is preparing to escape or arm or die or even to be injured. And it was just two days ago
that the news reported about the Board of Education of Machida City deciding to treat the students of North Korean schools equally by distributing them crime-prevention alarms just like they do to all the other school children in the city.

I think the possiblity of Japanese land becoming a war zone after 68 years of complete peace is as low as your own homeland becoming one.

I feel that the relationship between N. Korea and Japan is more like the Cold War between Soviet and the U.S. in the 70s where the big guys are threatening each other just so that no one will try to attack them.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/11 09:39
my trip is next friday but i talked to my cousins and she says that they were told to save money just in case. My cousin lives in tochigi and my other cousin that lives in kanagawa told me the same thing .... I don't know if i should cancel my plane ticket and hotel...
by TheHitokiri rate this post as useful

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/11 10:05
It should all be over by next Friday. Un will fire his missiles at the Pacific and that'll be the end of it. Saber-rattling to get attention is all it is.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/11 14:10
I think you'll be fine. The biggest warnings are for South Korea, and although Japan is always a target, I don't think there will be a real attack. North Korea is in a good position when they make empty threats, but a real war would jeopardize their leadership.

With that said, no one can ever guarantee your safety anywhere. A car could always hit you, someone could go crazy and stab you, mother nature could smash you with a tree, etc.

The best anyone can say is that it seems unlikely that anything will happen.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/11 19:18
I live in the north forests of Sweden. I guess the newspapers like to blow up things a bit but I don't know. When it comes to war I am quite frightened, well we had this Breivik bombing in Norway some years ago so perhaps it is because of that, or the newspapers just like to scare people.

Anyway, the news said a lot about the conflict yesterday, that Japan has put up long distance defence missiles in Tokyo and some other places, that N Korea warns foreigners in S Korea to get out to not get hurt by the "oncoming war", and that they have moved their missiles to the Korean coast.

Of course I hope this will all be over soon as you say and that N Korea will realize that starting a war would be fatal to their politics. But still I cannot help to feel a bit fear for this conflict...

I try to be as optimistic as possible, I mean N Korea is not too close to Japan as S Korea is for instance, but I have no clue how far these N Korean missiles could reach as they seem to claim. Also I don't know how Japan would react to a possible war situation that N Korea attacks S Korea.

I dont like the idea of being in a warzone, which I hope will never ever happen.

So, I hope you understand why I have this fear, I don't want it and I try to be as optimistic as possible. It is not possible to cancel the flightticket anyway.
by Nega (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/12 21:27
My wife and I are traveling to Japan this June for a week to celebrate our sixth year anniversary. We are optimistic too. Of course the media here blows things out of proportion to get ratings - I even read one columnist in our local newspaper here in my little town in Wyoming who said that this could be a stage for the Japanese to gain their superiority back in the Pacific. Whatever.

You never know when it comes to lunatic leaders. PDRK isn't exactly playing with a full deck of cards. I'm hoping that he is bluffing. But if anything, if he does use a nuclear weapon on Japan, South Korea, or any US allies, it will mean the definite destruction of North Korea. I'm not sure Kim will risk it.

Maybe not.
by Texican rate this post as useful

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/12 23:00
Well, this all feels like 50:50 chance of happening. Noticed this on the first page of a Swedish newspaper linked to this page (http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2013/04/12/0200000000AEN201304120...)

Well, if they would launch a missile at Tokyo, and succeeding killing billions of people, then it would be like the end of human age, I mean, nuclear weapon war. Then east Asia would be a nuclear disaster zone for eternity. I hope N Korea would not risk that, but if that leader Kim whatever his name is would have a screw loose and have working missiles, then he could practically destroy whatever he wants in a blast. God that's frightening. Read something about deligates arrived in Pyongyang, if that makes any difference.

Well, about their nuclear launch tests prior to this how come surrounding nations and US did not do anything (that I know) more than just warning them and complaining. Now we are here, at a point we did not want to reach. I dont like that.

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/13 00:18
Well, about their nuclear launch tests prior to this how come surrounding nations and US did not do anything (that I know) more than just warning them and complaining. Now we are here, at a point we did not want to reach. I dont like that.

First of all, they did more than to warn them which was to warn "us" so that we would know how to avoid danger at what time of the what day. But if you're talking about being prepared to attack back, that has been very debatable. Since it's quite obvious that no country wishes to go to war and that N. Korea only wants to show power, a lot of voters think it's wiser to try to let them calm down rather than to threaten them back.

For one, if governments impose economic sanctions, we know that it will only be the North Korean civilians that will starve, and that the big people will stay rich. If we bomb them, the foreign abductees there will be at risk. And ever since the 5 Japanese abductees were returned from North Korea several years ago, people started to believe that the abductions were true, and now it's a really big issue here in Japan. Plus, there are way times more South Korean abductees than there are Japanese (and there are also Middle-Eastern and European abductees).

So anyway, not many people think that arming is the solution. The Japanese media tells us that at the moment, governments are trying to pursuade China to pursuade N. Korea to calm down.

And to answer your original question, yes, frankly the chances of Japan being attacked is as high and as low as the the chances were for the Pentagon and WTC to be attacked. I wouldn't say it will never happen, but then I woundn't say it's likely to happen either. The chances of you being hit by a car in your own country is a lot higher.

Also, while you're in Japan, try to pay attention to the news. English language news from satelite TV is available everywhere and you also have the internet. You can also keep in touch with your Embassy. They are supposed to be there to reassure its people. By doing so, it will make your flight ticket worth while.

Hope you have fun.

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/13 03:37
If you are worried, there's no point in taking a vacation to any place (to Japan, France, Brazil, or any place) because you are not going to really enjoy the trip (you are going to always be thinking about the possible danger and not really enjoying it).
by MaU (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/14 04:43
Well if you're thinking of any danger being worried about then that is no matter to me. Earthquakes, no problem. I would not be going to Japan if I were afraid of earthquakes. It is part of the life of Japan, I know. But war. That is no good feeling in that. I dont like going to a country where I have to keep contact with embassies and check up news all the time and so...

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/14 07:28
Nega, if you are that afraid to go then don't. You won't have a good time if you're constantly worrying.

I went to Japan last summer, and a few days before my flight there was an announcement about a possible nuclear explosion and a large portion of Japan was in danger. I got a little worried but I knew if I didn't go I would regret the decision immensely. So I went, nothing ever happened, and I had the time of my life. I just kept my eyes on the news every morning and then went on with my day when nothing serious was ever announced. Japan does have news channels you know, I would always watch BBC world news every morning while I was there. I actually just booked my flight this week to go back in June again because of my amazing experience I had the first time.

The point is, if you are that frightened to go to Japan because of NK then stay home and pick another destination to visit. There are always risks when traveling anywhere in the world, but again if you are that scared then might I suggest Canada? Nothing bad every seems to happen there and it's a very pretty country lol

Just think about this though. If you don't go and nothing ever happens during the time you were suppose to be there, how much will you regret not going on your trip?

Have fun with whatever you decide to do!
by xbutterxcupx (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/14 18:10
Okay, I just thought that keeping contact with embassies and checking up news all the time would make you feel better. Sorry about that.

Actually, a cousin who works for a major newspaper company told me that the limit is today (in which we have 6 more hours left). If nothing happens today, then nothing will happen from now on. Up to this day, the company had been busy preparing extras, just in case, that is.

Anyway, if you can't cancel your trip anyway, you should come here and take one look at the local news (you don't have to keep an eye on it all the time). You will find that the news on N. Korea is a lot lot milder than the earthquake that occured in Awaji on the 13th.

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/14 18:46
xbutterxcupx and Uji,

I have been looking forward to this trip for several months, the planning and booking has been made since months ago and except for the thing I have some problems with tired eyes (too much computer work due to studies) I want to go there. First I did not take this conflict seriously but when people started saying they could possibly hit Japan "just because they can" made me frightened and angry at the same time. It was like my dream fell apart. Last may I started thinking of going there again, and I dont really feel like waiting another year again.

Japanese people are the nicest I have ever met in the world. I went there seven years ago, and the moment I went home and got to the transfer airport in London I realized what I miss so much. Here you cannot relax, people are so pessimistic, care only about themselves, etc... I dont think no one would give a damn about being so diciplinated and helpful as the Japanese people are.

I have been more worried not being able to go than anything could happen on the trip itself like earthquakes, etc. The only way to cancel the trip would be in case our foreign affairs unit (not sure what it is called in English) would advise people not to go. But that would mean it is not meant to go there now.

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/15 16:23
Thanks for feedback. I'm hoping for the best. And it's been Uco.

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/15 19:10
Uco,
Sorry about that. I am not too good with names :)

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/4/15 22:58
Me neither. No problem ;)

Re: Safety Japan during N Korea conflict 2013/5/18 20:33
Thanks everyone who posted here! Has made me feel a lot better for my 2nd ever international trip (went to England, France and Italy in 2006). This time, to Japan! Because I'm only 15, I had a lot of worries on my mind, (especially when following politics/news) but I realise this isn't a very good representation of the actual happenings in most of Japan, so I'm hoping to just enjoy it! Can't wait until Fuji-san!

Komban wa, from Sebasuchan-kun!
by Bazerama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread