Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyagi Radiation Concerns 2013/4/14 06:47
I am travelling to Japan with my son in August to Miyagi and am concerned about residual radiation from the Tsunami. I am worried about eating contaminated local food and produce as he is being billeted out with locals. Should I be worried??
by Phill (guest)  

Re: Miyagi Radiation Concerns 2013/4/14 13:04
You should not be worried. Radiation on board of an airplane at cruising altitude is a hundred times higher than in Miyagi Prefecture! A single CT scan gives you more radiation than spending five years in Miyagi!

Even the people who have been living continuously in more heavily contaminated Fukushima over the last two years are showing virtually no increased radiation in their bodies. A recent study showed no detectable radiation in over 99% of the people. The others showed low radiation. And only a few of elderly people, who would collect themselves and regularly eat mushrooms and wild boars from contaminated areas, showed heightened internal radiation. But even their radiation was lower than the radiation received in a single CT scan and not a threat to their health.

In distant Miyagi it is even less of a problem to the inhabitants. And even less so to short-term visitors.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread