Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Jomon leaders 2013/4/15 08:52
My nephew is doing a school report on trying to find out two or 3 leaders of the Jomon period. I am pretty good at doing research, but I am coming up with nothing can anyone help me or direct me to the correct website?? Thank you in advance!!! :)
by lauralm1007  

Re: Jomon leaders 2013/4/15 13:34
The Jomon Period was from 13000 BC to 300 BC. The first written historical record of Japan was documented in the 700s AD, which explains why you wouldn't find much literature, if any, about "Jomon Leaders".

Try looking up more on the Jomon Period and you might find some useful information.
by naes rate this post as useful

Re: Jomon leaders 2013/4/15 15:10

Unfortunately, the leaders of the Jomon period are anonymous. There is no historical record of the Jomon. The Kojiki and Nihonshoki are Shinto texts that give an account through myth of events that may have occurred during the Yayoi and Kofun period. The Kojiki references Emperor Jimmu who was the first Emperor of Japan that subdued a number of old mountain gods (maybe referencing Jomon leaders or earlier waves from China and Korea during the Yayoi period). Tradition dates this at 660 BC. However this seems to be a little speculative to be the subject of a school report.
The Nara period at around 700 AD is really the start of the historical period in Japan.

Despite the fact that Jomon leaders are anonymous, one might through archaeology note a few things reflecting differences in status like the burial of some individuals with bracelets, beads, ornaments made of Jade and antler artifacts that may have once been handles to hunting knives. There also appear to be cemeteries in circular formations that have an individual in the center with the most stuff. The Jomon were also known to have practiced ritual tooth ablation (removing teeth) and many theories have been proposed regarding the reason. Perhaps to identify natives from outsiders, or those that practiced different occupations or experienced events in life like marriage or the loss of someone to death. Hopefully this will help.
It is also important to note the differences between leaders and followers was likely weak and based primarily on things like experience and skill. We don't see many infant graves with lots of stuff to suggest people were born into a particular family of leaders like one might see in a monarchy.
Ultimately your nephew needs to have the teacher clarify the requirements of the assignment because it seems to be off.
by Jacob (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread