Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where and when can I buy dried persimmons 2013/4/19 19:30
Hello,

I would like to know where I can buy really good dried persimmons. This isn't for me but for my 88 year old grandpa. He used to live in Japan during WW2. During the time of very limited available food, he was lucky enough to get some and he can't forget the taste of it. I just visited Japan this Feb. Nearly the end of my trip, my family called me and told me about this. Due to very little remaining time, I was unable to find it at nearest supermarket and underground department stores.

I am planning to visit japan again this year from late Nov to early Dec. Usually dried persimmons are available during winter season before new year, correct? Where would be the good place to buy them? I will have 21-day Rail Pass so I can go anywhere. I am planning to go from North to South, or vice-verse.

Thank you!!
by Sitti01  

Re: Where and when can I buy dried persimmons 2013/4/20 16:36
They are available in any supermarket at that time of the year.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where and when can I buy dried persimmons 2013/4/20 17:31
Sitti01,

As suggested, you can buy them anywhere. Are you sure you asked for "hoshigaki"? You can even buy them on-line. Just Google "dried persimmon shopping on-line."

Or perhaps you are looking for a dish called "namasu" in which you're supposed to mix in dried persimmon into the radish and carrot salad to make it authentic. The ready-made ones are usually available before New Years, but it's easy to make by yourself.
http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&rlz=1T4TSHJ_ja___JP509&biw=1280&b...
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where and when can I buy dried persimmons 2013/4/21 00:20
Are you from US? If so, go to a Chinese supermarket near you like 99 Ranch. I buy them often there in the winter.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread