Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Language school 2013/4/23 03:51
I have been working towards going to a Japanese Language school for quite some time now! I have been taking a year long Japanese course in my home country(UK) as well as spending three month's in Japan last summer to make sure that I liked it.

I am struggling a bit working out finances. I know how much a year long course is which is roughly 5000 English Pounds per year.
My question is how much money do other people going to study in Japanese language schools bring with them to keep them stable until they find part time jobs?
What would be a sensibly amount of money to save up in total to make this happen?

Thanks guys.
by 赤いキツネ (guest)  

Re: Japanese Language school 2013/4/27 02:42
That depends on a couple of things:

1. Are you expecting rent?
-Some language schools have student dorms or can place you in an apartment or with a host family. Such places almost always require you to pay all the fees for those things along with your tuition, so if you won't need to pay rent while in Japan, then you can ignore that piece of your expenses. If you want to find your own apartment and pay your own way, however, you'll need enough for rent and utilities.

2. How many meals will you need to purchase?
-As I mentioned above, some schools offer placement with a host family, and that family often provides 1 or 2 meals a day for you (breakfast and dinner). If that's the case, then the only meal you'll be forced to pay for is your own lunch, so consider that when you plan.

If you're living and cooking on your own, however, if you eat a normal amount of food, I can tell you that I spent a little under ¥3,000 a week on groceries (meat, veggies, bread/rice). It's also possible to find filling meals as cheap as about ¥400 if you're looking in the right places (convenience stores and proper restaurants included), so if you plan to eat out frequently, that's something to consider.

3. What will your commute look like?
-If you're living two stations away from your language school and a train ticket costs ¥200 one way, then you'll need at at least ¥400 per day. If you live further out, it'll get more expensive to travel everyday. If you come on a visitor's visa/visa exempt, then you won't qualify for any student discounts on IC-cards or train/bus tickets, so be aware of that as well.

4. How often do you think you'll want to mess around?
-Are you hoping to do some sight-seeing that requires use of the Shinkansen? Are you a heavy shopper? Do you prefer more expensive meals? If you think you'll be spending a ton on fun, then bring a lot of extra money. If you think you won't eat out, shop, travel, karaoke, etc. very often, then bring less extra money. Either way, bring extra money.

5. What kind of phone do you want?
-If you have a phone that will work in Japan and doesn't have ridiculous international call rates, you don't need to worry about this. If you'll need a Japanese phone, though, you'll have to consider whether you want a contract (usually two-year contract) or the cheaper prepaid option (about ¥7,000 the first time around, ¥3,000 or ¥5,000 for call cards every time afterwards if you got through SoftBank). There are also phone rentals available at airports and occasionally schools will rent out phones as well, so look through your options and then bring enough money to make your favorite happen.

6. How quickly can you get cash in an emergency?
-If you're able to call your family in an emergency and have them place money in your bank account within minutes, then you can worry less about an emergency fund. If you don't get that sort of help from your parents, however, or transferring money will take too long, make sure to pack some emergency cash.

The amount you bring depends on what will make you most comfortable. If you want enough to be able to buy a plane ticket home, then bring a couple thousand. If you want enough to catch a cab to the nearest embassy, bring a couple hundred.

I know this isn't concrete numbers, but I hope it helps at least a little bit. ^^
by Amai Umeboshi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread