Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How long will it take me to learn Japanese 2013/5/5 15:53
I am taking Japanese this year, but I already had a head start on it. I am going to the 9th grade in Japanese I. I know the basics of the Japanese alphabet.
by Japaneselearner456  

Re: How long will it take me to learn Japanese 2013/5/5 16:38
What is your aim?

I know that people who start from zero and attend full-time Japanese language school IN Japan usually reach college-entrance level after 1.5 or 2 years.

My spouse, who is from Europe, started learning Japanese when he was young, and attended a language school full-time in Japan for one year first. (No English speaker around, in that sense no distraction, so it was better for "full immersion," but no online study resources either.) His answer is (just as a guideline) one year full-time study will get you to a level where "you can get by in your every day life."

Of course it depends on the individual (learning pattern, studying habits/frequency), and where and how you study. Enjoy learning! :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How long will it take me to learn Japanese 2013/5/5 17:37
Where are you going to take Japanese lessons, at a proper school or university? I took lessons in Paris in the evenings at a less than formal club and found myself in classes that always stayed at the level of the weakest student and this was typically the person who didn't do any homework. That was very slow going.
This probably sound harsh, but if you're serious, it is probably best to pick a school that is pushing you and these are typically the more expensive schools.
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long will it take me to learn Japanese 2013/5/5 21:57
I want to learn Japanese, and I like to become fluent in the language.
by Japaneselearner456 rate this post as useful

Re: How long will it take me to learn Japanese 2013/5/5 22:38
If you want to be completely fluent it's going to take you more than 2 years, especially if you will be doing all of your learning in the U.S.

If your classes are all coming from your high school, you will probably get the basics down and simple conversation but that's about it. My friend took Japanese in his high school for all 4 years but he never got too far and forgot almost everything after his first year of college.

I've been taking private classes for 6 years now (I started when I was 14) and I still wouldn't say I'm completely fluent, but I've done pretty much all of my learning in the U.S. and the only one I've had to talk to in Japanese is my teacher.

If you really want to reach your fluency before college then I suggest trying to do an exchange program. My school didn't offer it so I wasn't able to travel to Japan until college to do a home-stay during the summer. I was only there for a month but I was able to learn SO much and my listening and speaking skills became a lot better during the trip. If your able to do a full exchange program for a year, I say that's your best bet to becoming close to fluent as fast as possible.

You're in 9th grade so you have plenty of time. If your school will let you do it, then take advantage!

In the end though, it will all depend on your determination to learn.

Good luck!
by xbutterxcupx (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How long will it take me to learn Japanese 2013/5/9 05:03
Well thats depend on how much do you learn and how fast do you understand it!

If you learn it outside of Japan maybe mini 4-5 Years!

ILm learning Japanese with a Japanese Teacher living in Japan, and it works good for me after 6-8 month of study I can survive in a daily life which I try 2 times as I was in Japan...
by Uriziel rate this post as useful

Re: How long will it take me to learn Japanese 2013/5/9 05:31
You have to define the level of fluency. I studied for 3 years in college and lived in Japan for 2 years. After all that, I read at only a 3rd-grade level. It depends on how much studying you do on your own, in addition to your ability to learn it.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: How long will it take me to learn Japanese 2013/5/16 22:22
I have been studying kanji since February 2013 and I read at a third grade level.

It's just the way you study!

I use www.wanikani.com
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: How long will it take me to learn Japanese 2013/5/17 12:05
Totally depends on the person.
I've been in Japan 2 years and am pretty poor, some people who've been here the same amount of time as me barely speak a word whilst others can be here a year and be fluent.
by takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread