Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does this sentence make sense? 2013/5/6 14:00
日本語がとても楽しくて面白い国語と思います。

I'm trying to say 'I think Japanese is a very fun and interesting language.'

And also, how would I say 'In order to improve my Japanese, I want to go on an exchange program to Japan.'

Thanks
by iKWERTY  

Re: Does this sentence make sense? 2013/5/6 14:09
日本語がとても楽しくて面白い国語と思います。

I would say 日本語は...

国語 is used by the Japanese to refer to their own language, and does not mean "language" generally. Better word choice would be either 言語 (gengo = language), or 言葉 (kotoba = language, words).

(Suppose I choose the word 言語 to say language), you need to say:
…言語だと思います。

Thus:
日本語は、とても楽しくて面白い言語だと思います。

When you say it is fun and interesting, do you mean that it is "interesting to learn"? You could also say 興味深い (interesting) instead of 面白い as well.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Does this sentence make sense? 2013/5/6 14:42
Thanks for the quick response!
Andn no, I wasn't trying to say it is interesting to learn, but how would you say it? What's the difference between 興味深い and 面白い?

And on a different note, does the sentence 来月、日本語を改善する為に、日本へ留学に行きたいです。make sense?

Sorry for spamming you with questions T-T
by iKWERTY rate this post as useful

Re: Does this sentence make sense? 2013/5/6 18:37
iKWERTY,

If I find that someone seems to be seriously into learning the language, I'm happy to help :)

面白い has the connotation of fun & interesting, with a bit of "funny" or "entertaining" sense in it.
興味深い is more like "intellectually challenging thus engaging," "intellectually interesting," "worth spending time into."

来月、日本語を改善する為に、日本へ留学に行きたいです。

I get what you are trying to say... :) you want to go to Japan next month to improve your Japanese.
But "日本語を改善する" sounds unnatural (it says "in order to improve the Japanese language," without mentioning whose Japanese lol, and "kaizen suru" is a bit too stiff). 日本語をもっと学ぶために would be more natural. 日本語がもっと上手になるために would work too.

Are you saying you have already plans to come to Japan next month? Because, if all you want to say is "I would like to go to Japan to improve my Japanese," this "next month" comes out somewhat abrupt - either you have specific plans for next month, or you just "generally" want to come to Japan, without mentioning that specific time frame?

If you already have plans set to come to Japan next month, that would be, for example:
日本語をもっと学ぶために、来月日本に留学する予定です。
日本語がもっと上手になるために、来月日本に留学します。

If you don't have any set plans, but just generally want to come to Japan to study:
日本語をもっと学ぶために、日本に留学したいです。
日本語がもっと上手になるために…
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread