Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bank for foreigner owning property 2013/5/13 05:20
Hi,
I have a current question as appears the topic was last broached in 2008... I just bought a home (not an apartment) in Japan, I am closing it first before filing paperwork for myself and my son for perm. res. (so I have an actual address to put on the application, as that I feel would add points in our favor) and while I paid cash, and have a large amount of yen, I would obviously need to set up a bank account to cover fee's, utilities, taxes ect. (firm believer in online banking and automatic payments/withdrawals) so my question is has the rules regarding this changed? When I enter on the max 90 day, will they issue me some type of visa (especially if I am a property owner) where it would enable me to do this? Are there any banks (I've been looking..) that work with foreign property owners to enable them to set up/have accounts if they own property in Japan?
by Ravenfuture  

Re: Bank for foreigner owning property 2013/5/13 10:34
I just bought a home (not an apartment) in Japan, I am closing it first before filing paperwork for myself and my son for perm. res.

I do not really understand, your profile says that you live in Connecticut, United States, and you are filling for permanent residency in Japan? How is that possible? You cannot become permanent resident in Japan if you haven't lived for a least 5 years in the country with a visa while married with a japanese citizen, otherwise it is 10 years. Just because you bought a house in Japan does not give you the privilege to become a permanent resident. Things does not work this way.

so I have an actual address to put on the application, as that I feel would add points in our favor

It gives you 0 points. Permanent residency has nothing to do with owning property in Japan. As I said before, a lot of people in USA seem to really have some ''issues'' about borders, visas and about going to live in another country. If I buy a apartment in New York will I get a green card? Of course not. Just because I buy property in USA doesn’t give me the privilege to get a green card. It is the same way in Japan.

When I enter on the max 90 day, will they issue me some type of visa (especially if I am a property owner) where it would enable me to do this?

No, there a no special visa for property owners.

Are there any banks (I've been looking..) that work with foreign property owners to enable them to set up/have accounts if they own property in Japan?

No bank in Japan, including Citibank is allowed to deal with foreigners who are not residents. To open a bank account you need an alien card proving you are resident. Otherwise no bank account for foreign tourists.
by Willow (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bank for foreigner owning property 2013/5/13 13:35
Willow is right (albeit a little harsh on Americans) but your ticket in all of this is the Residence card.
I believe if you enter the country on any Visa other than a Temporary Visitor Visa then you should be issued with one and that should suffice to open your account.
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: Bank for foreigner owning property 2013/5/13 20:02
Poster # 2, thank you for your answer. Poster number 1, I asked nothing in regards to visa or residency, I am we'll aware of my current process status and purposely did not include it as that was not the question I was asking. The attitude and commentary regarding was out of line and by far baseless considering my question regarding banking. Additionally it was also incorrect, Citibank is converting my account as soon as I arrive back in Japan.

People ask questions here for clarification, not abstract commentary.
by Ravenfuture2000 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bank for foreigner owning property 2013/5/13 20:52
Problem here is that people do not want to hear the truth. A lot of dreamers come to this board. You stated that you bought a house thinking you will get a visa, no not a visa! permanent residency! You jump from tourist visa to permanent resident.

I spent more than 10 years here, married to a japanese before getting one. I think you are taking this place for banana republic where people “buy” the right to live. I am just telling you it won’t happen, not even in a dream, like it or not, Japan is not an immigrant land.

Poster number 1, I asked nothing in regards to visa or residency
Wrong. You said:
When I enter on the max 90 day, will they issue me some type of visa (especially if I am a property owner) where it would enable me to do this?

You asked if owning a house gives you a privilege regarding visa. I am answering you again: No. Such visa does not exist.

Additionally it was also incorrect, Citibank is converting my account as soon as I arrive back in Japan.

Wrong. They may do so but they will ask you to show them your little alien card. They will make a copy of it. You do not have an alien card? No Citibank Japan account for you. You know, Citibank Japan is not an american island ruled by american laws on japanese soil. It follows japanese laws. No bank account for illegal residents and tourists. Foreign of local banks follow same rules.
by Willow (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bank for foreigner owning property 2013/5/14 06:12
'willow', enough with the attitude. This is not kindergarden, and as far as your anti american attitude, drop that as well-keep it to yourself, I never asked for it. before you go off into nasty person left field telling my I'm 'dreaming' and it will never happen, you had best know the person you are addressing it to, you know NOTHING about me. Since I am the one who has spoken to MY bank, and I am the one who BOUGHT my property, and I am the one who IS VERY SUCESSFULLY SELF IMPLOYED AND CAN AFFORD to do this and the fact that I don't need to rely on 'getting married' to do so, you can stop commenting now. Poster 2 was helpful and RESPECTFUL, you on the other hand are not. I don't even wan't to know what country you are from , so stop with the nasty comments about mine. Move along and find some other person to dump your unhappy attitude and negative comments on, I'm no longer responding to your comments to my post.
by ravenfuture2000 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bank for foreigner owning property 2013/5/14 08:44
I have a couple of questions about this.
The original poster was asking about bank accounts, and other posters were saying that you can't get a bank account without a visa. (as opposed to visitor status only)

So the point about a visa and resident's card is relevant to the discussion. He also mentioned he was applying for permanent residence in Japan, so he must have lived in Japan for 5-10 years as a resident, having previously obtained a visa to do so. So I'm confused about the reference to "90 day visitor status"

The original poster said he is self employed, so we can only assume that he is either self employed in the US or self employed in Japan. However, unless you have an investor's visa in Japan (bought property, such as a hotel, and employ Japanese staff), then you can't really get a visa in Japan based on being self employed in Japan. So perhaps he means he is self employed in the US.

So to the original poster, do you have just a house or apartment (etc), or have you bought a hotel (or similar) employing Japanese staff?
That will determine if obtaining a visa is POSSIBLE, and therefore a bank account.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bank for foreigner owning property 2013/5/14 10:06
For "normal" situations non-residents can no longer open a Japanese bank account. Previously one could use an ARC as ID and these could be obtained by temporary visitors. Now, a zairyu card is required and these can only be obtained by someone with a mid/long term residency status. However, there is no law that non-residents can't hold bank accounts and it is possible for non-Japanese companies and individuals to get bank accounts, but this wouldn't apply to most people.

The OP mentions perm. res. Many people (not limited to Americans, though they are the most numerous guilty parties) do not not know/understand, or at least not use correctly, immigration terminology. But, assuming the OP means permanent residency (永住者), then an address in Japan is certainly required, but owning or renting does not make a difference. More importably for this status are records of good conduct, taxes etc over a long period of continuous residency (this period is reduced with a strong family connection to Japan). It is not possible to apply for permanent residency visa from outside Japan (they don't exist) or switch to a permanent residency status from inside Japan if your status is temporary (e.g. visitor, student, diplomat); you would first have to switch to a mid-term residency status and a apply once you hold the longest period of that type of residency.

If the OP wishes to use money to become a legal alien in Japan - then buying an Japanese company/starting a Japanese company employing at least 2 Japanese or long-term foreign residents is the way to go. Owning a house will not help with residency, owing a large office block would.

Back to the OPs actual questions.
1. has the rules regarding this changed? can't help on this as not sure what you think the old rules were
2. When I enter on the max 90 day, will they issue me some type of visa You will not be issued a visa when you enter Japan. No one is. You are issue a residency status. The "90MAX" is a visa waiver system that gives you status as a temporary non-resident visitor.
3. (especially if I am a property owner) Being a property owner, unless qualifying for an investor visa (a personal house does not count) does not help application for a residency status
4.where it would enable me to do this? No. You need to have a mid/long term residency status to get a zairyu card. Banks require a zairyu card for normal bank account opening
5.Are there any banks (I've been looking..) that work with foreign property owners to enable them to set up/have accounts if they own property in Japan? Of course. This is aimed more at larger concerns that paying the bills. But for your purposes if you don't speak Japanese, as a non-resident, you are best served with a property agent to deal with you property and you pay into his bank account to manage on your behalf.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bank for foreigner owning property 2013/5/14 21:53
to OP..
you are the one with attitude.
what Willow said is correct..and so does mr. shippy.

question remain how did u bought the house in japan? u said paid in cash? for sure legal purchase document involved, and definitely official document.. to transfer ownership, which meant u had to deal with local city hall/authority...

your big wad of cash ain't do no good here for visa, third world country maybe..
by tanshin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread