Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/5/18 02:26
I've read different opinions on options for this.

For an 11 day trip basically I want internet all the time (to be able to look up stuff and use google maps on phone). I would also like to text but could use iMessage or Whatsapp if I have a wifi connection

Is my best option to rent a pocket wifi such as from Global Advance? or rent the Bmobile 1gb data sim? or rent a Softbank SIM and add on data?

Thanks
by AlSvedish  

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/5/19 08:12
There are quite a few threads about this already, so I recommend having a read through them. In saying that, I do understand the confusion!
On my recent trip, I rented a 1G through b-mobile SIM for 14 days. This was more than sufficient. I can't comment on renting a pocket wifi through Advanced Global (although I did look into it but chose b-mobile instead).
by Sleepy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/5/19 12:57
Thanks. Some commented that B mobile's data was quite slow. Would you agree?
by AlSvedish rate this post as useful

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/5/20 15:30
Well, for some it may be. For me, 1GB was plenty. I obviously didn't watch vidoes or listen to online music, but I did use the net freely looking up stuff without any hesitation.
Some people might want to watch videos, etc. and thus would probably find it not enough. It would just depend on the way you use it.
by Sleepy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/5/24 18:55
We have rented a pocket wifi from GAC and loved it: really good speed....but there are 2 of us, and we have both phones, and both ipads hooked up: and a laptop on occasions as well (we travel light...lol)
for one person, for one device, the bmobile 1G seems excellent value,
good luck!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/5/27 10:41
Some commented that B mobile's data was quite slow.

Their visitor sims are limited to 3g speeds (with the unlimited data card further throttled to 300 kbps). Whether you consider that slow or fast is relative to what you are used to.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/6 09:30
let me take the opportunity to ask something too: according to their website, B-mobile will only work with a very limited list of cellphones:

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/visitor_devices.html

From what I read most of those are not Japan-only (or Asia only?) models. Are those really the only ones? anyone who took their chances on trying their home cell phone?
by CecilSoares rate this post as useful

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/6 10:27
That list is an abridged list of devices that B-mobile certifies will work on their network. In practice, the list is much more extensive and most devices that are unlocked (SIM-free) and support the 2100MHz 3g frequency should work fine. Do you have a specific phone in mind?

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/6 10:34
Yeah, actually my husband has Google's Nexus 4 and we'd probably tkae that with us. But if it has to be 2100 MHz I don't think it will meet the specifications, according to this:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_google_nexus_s_4g-3884.php

funny thing is, if I got it right, my rather old, maddening-slow duam sim cellphone will do the trick:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_y_pro_duos_b5512-4371.php

is it so? it will be very ironical.

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/6 10:37
hey I got the link for the nexus 4 wrong. the right one is this, and it is 2100 MHz

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_4_e960-5048.php

only it says HSDPA rather WCDAM, no idea if it makes a difference

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/6 10:43
only it says HSDPA rather WCDAM, no idea if it makes a difference

HDSPA devices are backwards compatible so it should work fine in Japan. Just make sure its unlocked.

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/6 22:49
thank you. All cellphones in Brazil are sold unlocked so we should be fine on that. You just made my life a lot easier :)

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/7 11:13
I ended up deciding to rent a SIM for my unlocked iphone through Global Advanced Communications. I don't like the idea of carrying another device for connectivity. Will report back after I use it.
by AlSvedish rate this post as useful

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/8 13:44
Dear alsvedish

I bought a B mobile prepaid Sim with 3G only. IMO It was easy, hassle-free and not slow. But the only thing to take note is you have to call and activate from a Japan cell phone, which my bf called for me.
by bebegurl rate this post as useful

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/8 13:49
You can buy it from Yotsubashi Camera outlet directly. I don't think they provide rental. I didn't opt for rental of wifi device cos it's more expensive, like 4000 - 5000 yen for 4 days.

B mobile gives you Internet access for 30 days and I think it's more than enough for a traveller. I mean I don't think anyone will hole in their hotel room and just do alot of streaming right? There is no time for that! Basically you use it when you are on the go, most probably using google maps, listening to YouTube songs, Line etc.

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/8 13:52
To make a comparison, I used to have a local iPhone plan with 2 GB and obviously I used it alot daily and have never exceeded. So 1 GB is more than enough.

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/10 11:20
I bought a B mobile prepaid Sim with 3G only. IMO It was easy, hassle-free and not slow. But the only thing to take note is you have to call and activate from a Japan cell phone, which my bf called for me.

FYI, Most travellers will probably opt for the B-mobile 14 day visitors sims rather than the monthly version that you got. The visitors sims don't require activation.

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/10 15:19
Hey yllwsmrf

Really? The lady told us it was the only one they have so we just bought that. But if you stay more than 14 days, then it makes more sense to get the 1GB one. Cos both costs the same.

And till today, I'm still confused between the 2 prepaid cards despite reading a few times. Maybe you can highlight other main differences?

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/10 17:07
Yea, there is quite a variety of b-mobile offerings. Yodobashi only offers a limited number of them, but you can see the full lineup on the b-mobile site. The visitor ones end up being more expensive with the tradeoff that they are easier for foreign travellers to order and activate. Here's a good english explanation of the different b-mobile offerings:

http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2011/06/comparison-of-all-b-mobile-sims...

Re: Confused on SIM and Wifi options 2013/6/10 21:36
if you went to some store to by your sim card, then the reason the lady said the 30-day one was the only one they had is because the 14-day can only be purchased online and in advance, and has to be pick-up on an airport, according to their website.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread