Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much does avocado cost in Japan? 2013/6/3 15:13
How much does frozen or freash avocado cost in Japan (per kg)? Is it a common food in the Japanese diet?

Thank you.
by Snjezana (guest)  

Re: How much does avocado cost in Japan? 2013/6/4 14:37
Fresh avocado usually cost between 98 and 150 yens in Tokyo, quite cheap, prices depends on the origin. Those I usually buy come from Chile, Mexico or USA. Those from USA are often not good not tasty. Those from Mexico are bigger and tasty.

Never seen frozen avocado in Japan. I bought once frozen guacamole but this was only once. It was an imported stuff.
by Michou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much does avocado cost in Japan? 2013/6/4 16:26
fresh goes for @128 yen in my supermarket (small town in Kansai)
by himcia rate this post as useful

Re: How much does avocado cost in Japan? 2013/6/5 12:23
Thank you very much for your replies. Are these prices per avocado, or per KG?

Kind regards,
Snjezana
by Snjezana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much does avocado cost in Japan? 2013/6/5 13:02
That price is per avocado. They are a little cheaper per piece (and usually 25-50% larger) at Costco where they sell them in packs of 5 (I think).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How much does avocado cost in Japan? 2013/6/5 14:03
Good to know! Are avocados common in restaurants, or is it a fruit that people usually just buy fresh in grocery stores for themselves?

by Snjezana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much does avocado cost in Japan? 2013/6/5 14:45
Avocado isn't an ingredient in Japanese cuisine, so it's not so popular at restaurants. Usually you can find a dish or two with avocado in a non-Japanese restaurant.
I buy mine and prepare at home. My supermarket sales delicious bottled sauces for avocado, so I usually eat it that way or put it in a spaghetti.
by himcia rate this post as useful

Re: How much does avocado cost in Japan? 2013/6/5 21:21
Snjezana,

Actually, you would typically find avocado between the fruit and vegetable sections at supermarkets, grocery stores and department stores. The Japanese tend to think that fruit is sweet and vegetables are not.

And although avocado became common only in the recent decades, one of the most typical ways the Japanese enjoy them is to eat it fresh with soy sauce and wasabi. So in a way, it's quite Japanese. But weirdly, you don't see them so much in Japanese-style resturants, although you do see them a lot a Tex-Mex style restaurants in Japan.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread