Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

does mayonnaise have a part in sushi making 2013/6/4 09:49
you know how you make sushi. and you could put a sweet and sour sauce to go along with it.. is it Japanese based to have mayonnaise as a sauce for sushi? or is that one of the international influences that immigrants have changed.
by talei (guest)  

Re: does mayonnaise have a part in sushi making 2013/6/4 13:51
Mayonnaise has not been used traditionally in Japan. Therefore, it is not a traditional ingredient of sushi. However, these days, some restaurants serve some sushi dishes that contain mayonnaise. It is not rare, at all, especially in cheap sushi restaurants. I am not sure about the nationality of the first person who used mayonnaise in a sushi dish, but I suspect it was probably an innovative Japanese person - similar to how mayonnaise found its way onto okonomiyaki. Alternatively, it may have its origin in sushi dishes made abroad, although I don't think that sushi was popularly made abroad until the 1980s, and by that time I suspect that a Japanese person had already come up with the idea to use mayonnaise in a sushi dish.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: does mayonnaise have a part in sushi making 2013/6/4 15:57
Talei,

Just to add, sweet and sour sauce doesn't come with authentic Japanese sushi either. In Japan, you can enjoy that kind of sushi only in American style resturants. You can also enjoy sushi with mayonnaise in those restaurants as well.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: does mayonnaise have a part in sushi making 2013/6/5 10:20
i think it's the international influence that there's mayonnaise in the sushi. i really like the mayo with smoked salmon and grilled scallop.
by chocochick rate this post as useful

reply to this thread