Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Possible to travel Japan using Free Wifi? 2013/6/10 13:19
Hi,
First time poster but a long time reader. I finally go together enough money to travel to Japan for 21 days so I'm pretty excited.

Q1) As I'm travelling on sort of a budget, I was wondering if it is possible for a tourist first time in Japan to get around purely on Open Free (not just public visible)Wifi, eg. Starbucks, 7-11, Hotels wifi.

Q2) If not what would be the cheapest option as so far the cheapest I have found is econnect Japan for 4,100 yen + Shipping (1GB simcard)

My main use will be for google maps (As im bound to get lost)

Thanks,
by Ben n92  

Re: Possible to travel Japan using Free Wifi? 2013/6/10 17:11
Q1) As I'm travelling on sort of a budget, I was wondering if it is possible for a tourist first time in Japan to get around purely on Open Free (not just public visible)Wifi, eg. Starbucks, 7-11, Hotels wifi.

A year or two ago it would have been difficult, but Japan is entering a sort of golden age for free public wifi so its definitely possible to get around without needing to purchase internet. Starbucks is good around the larger cities, and 7-11 are pretty ubiquitous as well. Just be sure to check out their sites and register ahead of time to save yourself the trouble when you actually need it. More info here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html

Q2) If not what would be the cheapest option as so far the cheapest I have found is econnect Japan for 4,100 yen + Shipping (1GB simcard)

Pay wifi is pretty cheap if you are able to sign up for it. Otherwise an econnect sim is probably one of the cheaper ways to go.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Possible to travel Japan using Free Wifi? 2013/6/10 21:31
can't you pre-load the maps of the cities you'll be travelling to? Of course you won't be able to make any searchs as they require connection, but if your cellphone has a GPS (which I assume it does if you have google maps) you can manage it just fine as long as you plan your day.

I did that on my last 2 trips abroad (both to USA) and I did just fine.
by CecilSoares rate this post as useful

Re: Possible to travel Japan using Free Wifi? 2013/6/10 23:28
Bmobile prepaid is cheapest I think.
by bebegurl rate this post as useful

Re: Possible to travel Japan using Free Wifi? 2013/6/11 10:39
Some of b-mobiles offerings may be cheaper, but for the ones aimed at travellers, econnect is marginally more expensive per unit, but is valid twice as long (4100 yen + shipping vs 3980 + shipping; 30 days vs 14 days).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Possible to travel Japan using Free Wifi? 2013/6/11 10:46
Thanks for all the replies, I have decided to go without mobile internet to save some money. Hopefully Japan does not end up too confusing as im more use to Australia's slow and small public transport services.
by Ben n92 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread