Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan phone options 2013/6/12 22:44
Hey guys, I'm going to Japan in about a month for 3 weeks. I want to be able to make local calls while I'm there. I care less about making international calls and I don't even need Internet access. What is the cheapest way of doing this? I have and iPhone 4, so is it better to rent just a SIM card or to rent a phone? What should I do? Thanks in advance.
by Yuukida (guest)  

Re: Japan phone options 2013/6/13 17:42
how many calls do you plan to make?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japan phone options 2013/6/13 20:57
I don't plan on making a lot of calls but I would need it here and there to contact friends in Japan.
by Yuukida (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan phone options 2013/6/14 07:36
Buy a Softbank prepaid phone. You can buy it at Softbank Roppongi without resident's card, just passport. Costs about 6000yen, including 3000 yen prepaid card & phone.

If you are very lucky, you will be able to do the same at Don Quijote (DonKi) for 3980 yen, (including 3000 yen prepaid card & phone.) but they usually need passport + 1 Japanese ID.(or 2 Japanese ID)
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan phone options 2013/6/14 11:11
I don't plan on making a lot of calls but I would need it here and there to contact friends in Japan.

You might also just consider international roaming. Check with your carrier, as you may be able to get on a travel plan that could be very competitive to the prepaid calling rates.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread