Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Salmon for sushi and sashimi 2004/10/13 17:01
why some people says that salmon is not recommend for sushi and sashimi?
by samp  

freeze possible parasites to death 2004/10/14 10:41
I have never heard anybody saying such a thing.

However, one problem with raw salmon is that it can contain parasites. In order to kill the parasites, the salmon meat must be frozen for a while, before you can eat it.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Salmon 2004/10/19 20:46
As I understand it (not sure of accuracy, was told by an American Sushi chef) the pink fleshed salmon of American Sushi is not the same salmon found in Japan. The salmon in America is farm raised in a controlled environment, therefore is guaranteed (more or less) safe. Japanese fish tends to be wild caught, and salmon sushi is not as common there (again, my apologies for any known inaccuracies about Japanese salmon).
by Seanolan rate this post as useful

Sushi lover! 2004/10/24 03:58

Most sushi places I go to, only serve slightly grilled salmon sushi, or salmon carpriccio style, or salmon with mayonnaise on top.

In America, Hong Kong and Australia, I find Salmon sushi is served just like that.

I am not sure of reasons either, but I have heard opposite - that farmed fish and prawns should not be eaten raw as it is likely to spread diseases and parasites. Deep Ocean fish however should be safe.

In chinese saying, however, Salmon is nearly 'poisonous' especially when raw, so I am thinking traditionally Japanese sushi might have this precaution too, even though no one talks about it (as do many other things).

In Australia, I used to eat a lot of Salmon sushi. Funny thing is, 90% of shops were using Ocean Trout but call it Salmon. The Japanese sushi chef told me, its because Ocean Trout has more body fat, tastes better, also slightly safer than real Salmon. However, some Japanese sushi chef in Australia use Salmon too.

Still confuses me!
by delay no more rate this post as useful

.. 2004/10/25 15:33
In Singapore, it was on the news that salmon cultivated by farm is not safe to be eaten as they were fed with food that will cause cancer.

As for parasites in salmon, I heard Japanese take pills that will sort of clean their body system of parasites. Correct me if I'm wrong.
by Liz rate this post as useful

beats me 2004/10/26 09:36
well, as far as parasites, true enough. Same risk is inherent of nearly all sushi/sashimi meats, though. Raw meat = parasitic risk. Some are even frozen/thawed/frozen/thawed to break the entire life cycle of a parasite. Salmon taste good to me, though. I ate it pretty regularly for three years.
by roundeye rate this post as useful

raw raw 2004/10/26 14:15
To be correct Australian salmon sushi is raw not grilled.
by raw rate this post as useful

Parasites in raw salmon 2008/8/16 01:47
It seems that the reason the Japanese do not eat raw salmon is because it can contain two types of worms. Freezing for 48 hours seems to kill them, but the temperature must be less than -20C, colder than a household freezer. Best avoided. Others to avoid eating raw are any freshwater fish and mackerel, which also contain bugs/worms. Smoked or cooked salmon is fine.
by No raw salmon for me rate this post as useful

parasites 2008/8/16 16:25
I heard Japanese take pills that will sort of clean their body system of parasites.
The pickled ginger you find on the table in a sushi restaurant is intended to help kill the parasites and worms.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread