Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Grades and chances of taking a scholarship 2013/6/20 22:31
Hello! I plan to apply for the MEXT research student scholarship in 1-2 years. The problem is that my grades were a bit low in the third university year ( I had quite a few Cs and Ds ). Now I am a bit scared because on the embassy website it's written that one of the requirements is ''to have excellent grades during university''. So how much influence do the grades have? And what does excellent means? Which would be the lowest acceptable grade?

I'm not worried about the japanese exam because my jlpt level is 2. And I also took the japanese studies scholarship 2 years ago, which might also be a good recommendation. It's just the university grades that kinda suck...and I'm really worried.

I'd be grateful to hear your opinions!
by Cristina (guest)  

Re: Grades and chances of taking a scholarship 2013/6/21 11:22
The MEXT scholarships are extremely competitive, so the requirements "to have excellent grades during university" can be taken at face value. Of course it can't hurt to apply even if your grades are sub par, and perhaps you might have a chance if the rest of your application is exceptional.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Grades and chances of taking a scholarship 2013/6/21 20:40
Well, my grades are not actually sub par. My GPA is 2.5 out of 3 ( and I ready somewhere that you need at least 2.3 to be able to apply for the scholarship ). But I don't want only to be able to apply, I want to know if I have chances of taking it. 2.5 might be more than their requirements but it's not outstanding either, I'm sure there are a lot of students with a GPA close to 3.

That's why I want to find out, do the grades count more than the study plan and japanese exam?
by Cristina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Grades and chances of taking a scholarship 2013/6/22 05:51
If you don't apply, you'll never have a chance to win. It's ironic for me to say this, as I don't apply for scholarships because I am lazy. XD
by Genius (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Grades and chances of taking a scholarship 2013/6/26 17:53
Well, my grades are not actually sub par. My GPA is 2.5 out of 3 ( and I ready somewhere that you need at least 2.3 to be able to apply for the scholarship ). But I don't want only to be able to apply, I want to know if I have chances of taking it. 2.5 might be more than their requirements but it's not outstanding either, I'm sure there are a lot of students with a GPA close to 3.

Sub par was probably a poor choice or wording, but C's and D's will hurt you when applying for performance based scholarships such as the MEXT scholarship. You will have to make up for that deficit in other areas of the application to have a chance.

Quick question, in what country do you currently go to school?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread