Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 34

1 2
next

Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/25 06:59
Hi, I'm 13 and from Mississippi, United States, and have been interested in Japan's culture since I was 10. I have only been out of the country once and that was when I crossed the border into Canada. I'd like to eventually move there, but first I want to actually experience it. So, I've been thinking about going on a foreign exchange student program or a homestay (I can't tell the difference between them) when I'm about 15 or 16. What should I do? I can't afford to go on a trip with my family.
by Teen interested in Japan (guest)  

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/25 11:30
You should do it.
by llcooljon rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/25 11:57
I will, but that leaves the choice between a foreign exchange student program and a homestay- as I said I can't differentiate between the two.
by Teen interested in Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/25 14:19
They're practically the same in that regard. It you do an exchange program you'll have to stay with a family (home stay).
by SSJ Jup81 rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/25 22:21
I am from the tiny country Holland, if you get into University (not the same as college!) here, you can easily participate with a specially program which lets you go to (es example) Kyoto for 5 months.

You can even get a monthly pay from the Japanese government then, which is pretty high, high enough for you to live off (on your own).

Though I do not know what that program would be called in the states.

I'm just saying that there are quite a few ways, and even a few with which you don't have to home-stay.
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/25 22:46
Well, that sounds interesting, but I've never heard of it before since I'm not Dutch. But there is one thing to take into consideration- Japan and the Netherlands have the same type of government. They're both constitutional monarchies whereas the United States is a representative democracy and a republic.
Something I'd like to add is that a friend of mine is interested in Japan as well, but he pretty much picked it up from me. That's because I have been interested in Japan for three years, and I met him two years ago, and after knowing him for one he became interested in Japan. He does like its actual culture but is planning on working on Vocaloid for his job. He doesn't realize the problems Japan has, which as part of my interest I have found them out.
Another friend of mine had been taking into consideration going to Japan as a foreign exchange student, but he really wants to go to a university in California, so would rather use the money for that. However, he has been talking about going to Japan afterward, or possibly New Zealand (He has family there as his dad was born there). He had been taking Germany into consideration as well, but since no one we're friends with is going to live in Germany, Japan and New Zealand are the only countries he's been taking in consideration living in.

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/25 23:10
I support your goal. Exchange programs, or even just international travel, can change your life.

But most people on this forum, myself included, would not know much about these programs. At the high school level, in addition to your airfare, you might need money for food, spending money, etc.

I suggest contacting your local high school to see what they have and what they might be able to support.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/26 02:24
Well, I'm still in middle school so I can't go on an exchange program. I've heard of foreign exchange student programs that will let me go when I'm 15, but I found a homestay that will let me go when I'm 14. My mom thinks I should wait until I'm 15 or 16 as she's afraid if I go at 14 I'll get in trouble. I honestly don't know why.
Another issue is that foreign exchange student programs seem to cost a good bit. Homestays seem cheaper, but I don't know how much. When it comes to my averages in school, they sometimes get below a B, but not very often. My friend who also wants to go to Japan, however, has been getting averages as low as F's. The reason for that- his girlfriend has been distracting him.

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/26 15:56
Mhm I see.

My girlfriend has been motivating me greatly.
This is mostly because she is also studying Japanese and I don't want to lose to her, to it's a non-stop battle. But 'cause of that I have gone from non-existent to low-intermediate Japanese in almost 6 months.

I am sure your university/college will have some kind of (exchange) program, the US is a hundredfold bigger and so are it's Universities (money and contacts wise).
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/26 22:38
I meant to post this last night, but I couldn't as my dad had to get on the computer to check his email for work reasons.
Anyways, my dad thinks it could be a good idea, but my mom doesn't want me going. She says she's afraid of me meeting "the wrong kinds of people". While people like that exist all over the world, Japan has a very low crime rate. Compare that to the capital city of my state, Jackson, which has so much crime it ranks up with Detroit.
Anyways, I don't know if foreign exchange student programs will let me pick the city to go to, but I found out about this program that lets you homestay while going to a language school. They have schools in both Tokyo and Fukuoka, but if you're under 18 (like myself) then you have to go to the one in Fukuoka.
Anyways, how can I convince my parents to let me go to Japan? Also, what's the price difference between a foreign exchange student program and a homestay, and how much would be added to a homestay if I add a language school to it?

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 03:06
I've walked home at 1, and later, in the morning, alone by rice fields. My apartment, at the time, was about a mile or so from the train stop. Back home I wouldn't dare try that in fear of being knocked out, robbed, raped, etc.

Tell your mother she shouldn't worry.

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 03:30
I've told her that already, but she just doesn't want me to go because she'd miss me, and I understand that.
My dad finds it funny that I want to go to Japan by myself yet I reject going to most camps here in the United States. That's because I usually don't know anyone there. While I don't know anyone in Japan, I still can't wait to go!
Besides, it's not like I've rejected all camps or anything like that. My church went on a trip to Georgia (as in the state) last year and I wanted to go, even paid the deposit, but my mom made me not go. I was disappointed, but it took me a year to find out the reason she made me not go- whitewater rafting was in the itinerary, and my mom's roommate in college almost drowned to death at the same river.
She also says that maturity is a factor when I'm mature for my age. One reason my friend who is also interested in Japan has been getting averages in school like D's and in some cases F's is because he has severe ADHD and his mother doesn't discipline him enough. I don't know if he'd be accepted by people in Japan, especially with his job.

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 03:37
I've not once locked my front door in Japan. And I'm ok.

You could sleep in the street with an iphone in your hand and it will still be there when you wake up.

Today I saw what must have been a 10-11 year old white girl getting off station by herself.

Japan is safe for you. Mums will be Mums, but ensure she fully understands how it important it is for you to go.

It will be a great experience and in some ways I envy you. I'd have loved to have come to Japan when I was much younger.

Do whichever option is realistic and achievable.
by llcooljon rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 03:41
Thank you, and I'm not surprised she was at the station by herself.
Another thing I want to know is do I get to pick the city to go to? The one with the language class will only let me go to Fukuoka.

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 08:46
How about Labo?
There is an organization called Labo Party in Japan.
My kids go there once a week and they do songs and plays and lots of activities in English.
They can go to overseas homestay program once they become 13 years old.

They also accept kids from overseas as homestay at a Labo member's house.
I am not sure the cost but it says that the program is for students age 12-18 from North America, New Zealand and Australia.
You can google them by typing "Labo homestay Japan".
I'm sorry I couldn't paste the link.
by mame (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 11:20
Last year I went to Akihabara and bought a nice wall clock. When I went to Shibuya and caught the train back to my hotel in Tokyo. After I got back it hit me that I'd forgotten it at Shibuya station. I reported it and gave them the info. I went back home to Yamagata. They found my clock and mailed it to me unharmed. I wouldn't expect that back home in the US.

Also kids traveling alone isn't too uncommon. They're taught pretty young how to, seemingly.

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 15:40
Teen interested in Japan, if you want to make things easier and your wish to become reality ASAP, why not start taking Japanese language lessons? The sooner you begin, the better.
Your age is perfect. The younger you begin, the more time you have to reach fluency.
You can also check the Japanese embassy's website regularly for updates on exchange programs.

llcooljon,

It will be a great experience and in some ways I envy you. I'd have loved to have come to Japan when I was much younger.

You are only 23/24 years old (according to your profile) for goodness sake :)
And you have already made it to Japan. You have nothing to envy someone about.
Thank about it, some people make it to Japan until they are much older than you. Not to mention that there are many people who never make it there.
You are only in your 20's, you are the one to be envied ;)

by Cinderella (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 16:19
I did an exchange/home-stay program called LABO when I was 14 and then 15, because I really loved it!

You can sign up for a 1-month or a 2-month program. You get to do TONS of stuff. You take classes of Japanese every day in Shinjuku (downtown Tokyo!) for the first month staying with one family, and then you can choose to go to another place in Japan, to just home-stay with another family (who will take you places, and you'll do a LABO summer camp with your host-brothers and sisters).

It's also affordable :)

here's the web-site:
labo-exchange.com
by Katerinrin rate this post as useful

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 23:34
Teen interested in Japan, if you want to make things easier and your wish to become reality ASAP, why not start taking Japanese language lessons?

Re: Ways I can get to Japan sooner? 2013/6/27 23:35
Sorry, forgot to post what I was going to say afterward, but I use JapanesePod101.com and Livemocha, as well as a learning book, but I need more. Are there any in Mississippi?

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 34

1 2
next

reply to this thread