Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Monsters University - in English? 2013/7/1 19:41
Hi all,

Really looking forward to Monsters University being released in Japan this weekend. Does anybody know if it will be in English, i.e. not dubbed? Or any specific cinemas that usually show foreign animation just with subtitles?

Many thanks,

Rich :)
by richinjapan  

Re: Monsters University - in English? 2013/7/2 11:47
I looked up the theaters in Nagano and none of them have their weekend schedules published yet (terrible policy if you ask me). But I looked up a few other cinemas in that list Monsters University and it looks like they will only be playing it dubbed. Maybe someone knows of a Tokyo theater that doesn't dub kids animation? Its a long shot, but you never know.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Monsters University - in English? 2013/7/2 18:07
I've only been to one film in Japan, Star Wars Ep.1 3D. I asked if it was subtitled and they said, "yes". I wasn't specific as to which language it was subtitled to, but in this case, and I believe every case, it was subtitled in Japanese. It seems all American films are shown in the original language and subtitled in Japanese.... Am I correct in this assumption?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Monsters University - in English? 2013/7/2 18:12
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah usually, movies are in their original language BUT animation movies seem to be the exception, probably due to their target audience being children.

To clarify, I am looking for Tokyo cinemas since I will be going there this weekend. I will watch it regardless and it could be a good exercise to improve my basic Japanese comprehension skills, but it would be much more enjoyable if I could find an English showing.

Rich :)
by richinjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Monsters University - in English? 2013/7/2 18:19
Looks like Roppongi Toho Cinema will have it in both English and Japanese.
by Vita (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Monsters University - in English? 2013/7/2 18:29
Thanks for that, I just checked and you are right! They aren't accepting reservations for Sunday yet though. Any idea when online reservations will become available? Cheers! :)

Any further cinema options would also be appreciated!
by richinjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Monsters University - in English? 2013/7/3 02:15
by B (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Monsters University - in English? 2013/7/3 10:10
Thanks for the link B. I was looking for something like that earlier myself but was unsuccessful. That basically confirms that they're only playing the subbed version in the major cities.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread