Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamogawa clean? 2013/7/10 05:56
Hi, I'm wondering how clean the Kamo River in Kyoto is. It comes down from the mountains and I"m sure gets some agricultural runoff, but in general I'm thinking it's not bad... what do you think?
by KarlMarx  

Re: Kamogawa clean? 2013/7/12 01:46
It is and it can sometimes not be. It's beautifully clean but when you get to the more downtown area a lot of young people tend to get drunk next to the river and sometimes throw up in it so just be careful. :) Near Northern Kyoto it's a bit more rural so it's fairly clean. :)
by Yakitori (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kamogawa clean? 2013/7/12 03:09
Hmm... What were you planning to do in/with the river?
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Kamogawa clean? 2013/7/12 03:54
I haven't seen any signs prohibiting swimming... I know people dangle their feet, but I might be in the mood for a bit more submersion when it reaches 40 degrees!
by KarlMarx rate this post as useful

Re: Kamogawa clean? 2013/7/12 06:59
Before any rule, the people have common sense. Do not mess around with the atmosphere.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kamogawa clean? 2013/7/12 07:14
Hmmm... but by that logic I would also need to not swim at any public beach after Obon, if I am to follow custom. I would also need to be more reluctant to wear shorts on the street, even when it's 40 degrees outside.
It's a fine line, no one wants to be the ugly gaijin, but come on, a quick cool off in the river? What could be more natural? Dude, have you been in Kyoto in mid-August?
by KarlMarx rate this post as useful

Re: Kamogawa clean? 2013/7/14 15:29
Kamogawa was very polluted not long ago mainly by the runoffs from Yuzen factories, with substances like starch, various dye, ethyl acetate, and ammnonia. Just like any other urban rivers during the hyper-growth era, tons of garbages were floating, and people made the joke of Kamogawa as "Rainbow River" so they say. The water purifying facilities and the local cleaning efforts made the fish and insects come back since then, butI don't think we can see ducks (Kamo) still yet.
by jomonstrider (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread