Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

hold my bags, please 2013/7/12 10:44
I was thinking about how to ask the people at the front desk to hold my bags. I have been studying Japanese for a while and have no delusions of fluency, but I think I should be able to handle myself.

My concern is whether what I say will seem too formal... I think "nimotsu o azukatteitadakemasen ka?" would be the right way to say it but is that too honorific?

yoroshiku :)
by .. (guest)  

Re: 2013/7/12 16:21
nimotsu wo azukatte itadakemasen ka
= Can I leave my luggage here?

Nimotsu wo azukatte moraemasu ka
= Can you hold my bags?
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: 2013/7/12 16:33
I think you don't have to much worry about that. In this case, most Japanese people also use the formal expression like you. If you prefer to make it a litte more casual, you can say"nimotsu o azuketemo iidesuka?" This is not too casual expression.(^^)
by D.K (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2013/7/12 17:27
Your sentence is just right. I would use that level of honorifics, considering that I am talking adult-to-adult, and asking for a favor from the hotel staff, who is a stranger to me.

The two sentences listed by Carlove mean the same thing, "...itadakemasen ka" is slightly more polite, but with hotel staff, I would say using either is completely fine. The difference is more like "Would you hold my bag, please?" and "Will you hold my bag, please?" just that difference.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: 2013/7/12 21:30
Do note there isn't any actual ''please'' in the sentence.
by Carlove rate this post as useful

Re: 2013/7/12 21:59
I agree with AK's translation.
"itadakemasen ka" and "moraemasu ka" add meaning of "please" naturally.
That's very polite way of request.
Carlove's Japanese sentences are very useful but English translations are a bit strange to show that difference.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: 2013/7/12 22:14
This phrasing of"... itadakeMASEN ka" "moraeMASEN ka" is something I would translate as either:
- can't/won't you do (something for me)?
- couldn't/wouldn't you do (something for me)?

Thus I translated it as:
- will you do (something for me) please
- would you do (something for me) please.

...asking "won't you" or "wouldn't you...?" implies a very polite "please?" in them.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread