Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trans women: language + onsens? 2013/7/16 16:47
Hiya,

So I'm a trans woman and going to be in Japan next year to bicycle around before heading to Thailand for bottom surgery.

One, I just wanted to know what term I would use for myself that is pretty neutral in case I needed or wanted to explain myself. I've looked online and only found "new half" as a possibility, is that my best bet? And how do you say it?

Second, regarding onsens, I'm thinking the answer will be to use the men's, even though I'm obviously WOMAN thanks to hair/boobs/butt and that would feel suuuuuper weird for me and probably keep me from going... which would be a bummer cuz hot springs are amazing when you're biking all day.

If my Nihongo was better I would actually call/email some places and see what their policy was so your input is really appreciated.
by Hayden (guest)  

Re: Trans women: language + onsens? 2013/7/16 17:38

Probably "new half" is the easiest to understand for them, if you need to explain your situation. Common people usually know about it at least a little bit, because of "new half" entertainers on TV.

Regarding onsens, you should reserve a private onsen time. Your appearence in either side in public onsen will most likely attract very much attention.
by K0DAMA rate this post as useful

Re: Trans women: language + onsens? 2013/7/16 18:07
I might say that the term "new half" may come with the connotation that it is someone working in the show/entertainment industry... it has come to be used more widely to refer to transsexual women in general than before, but if you want to keep the tone of the talk, though I don't know when you would ever have to explain it, serious, I might refer to expressions like: "sei-tenkan shujutsu wo ukemashita" (I went through a trans-sexual surgery").

For onsen, I too definitely recommend reserving a private bath. They might be called "kashikiri buro" (all-to-yourself bath) or "kazoku buro" (family bath), and some hot spring inns have them available, rented by the hour. Some other inns have "in-room" hot spring baths, though these rooms tend to be expensive.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread