Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

chinese to japanese name 2013/7/17 18:20
Hello my Chinese name is 甘淑芳 (Gan Shu Fang). is there any japanese way (ko'nyumi) to read my name? Thank you before :) ありがとうございます!
by Irma (guest)  

Re: chinese to japanese name 2013/7/18 09:08
Usually when non-Japanese kanji names are given Japanese reading, it will be in the "on-yomi," not "kun-yomi."
The "on-yomi" for the three kanji you have in your name is: Kan Shuku Hou, which is of course close to your Chinese reading when written.

Just for your reference, even though you cannot put together the "kun-yomi" for the three kanji to make up a name, the "kun-yomi" for the individual kanji is as follows (additional "hiragana" needs to be added to complete the reading):
甘い ama(-i)
淑やか shito(-yaka)
芳しい kanba(-shii)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: chinese to japanese name 2013/7/18 09:42
Hi!(^-^)/
I think your name in Japanese is "Kan ShukuHou" as AK said.

BTW, "Ama ShitoKanba" for 甘淑芳 is very strange.

See also: How do you read Chinese names in Japanese?
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+89116
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: chinese to japanese name 2013/7/30 04:38
Hi, I have a follow up question for my own name, if anyone can help me shed some light.

I'm currently applying for work in Japan, and would like to know what employers (or anybody) prefer as a way of pronouncing chinese names.

My name: 王脩齊 in On yomi seems to be O Shuusei. In chinese (and on my passport) its Wang Hsiu-Chi.

My questions are:

a: which pronunciation do people usually go with in Japan, and which would be better for a formal work application?

b: I am a girl, but Shuusei seems to be a boys name. I don't mind it but is it uncommon in Japan for a girl to have a male name?

c: I also have an english name which is pretty much used exclusively here in Canada because I grew up here, but its not really on any of my official documents. Just as a easy way for people to refer to me, should I just use my english name (Sandy) as a nick name?

Basically I'd like to know what would be the most natural way for people to refer to me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!!
by hsiuchi rate this post as useful

Re: chinese to japanese name 2013/7/30 16:54
a. With formal application, your name should appear as it appears on your passport, in kanji as it is, and in alphabets as it is, thus, Wang Hsiu-Chi :)

b. It is uncommon. But as I stated above, you don't have to use the Japanese reading at all.

c. You can. Once you are employed, in your office environment, your colleagues will probably call you "Wang-san." People usually call each other (unless they are really close) "family name + san."
Or, if it is an English-speaking environment, where people refer to each other on a first-name basis, then you might introduce yourself to your colleagues with your nickname.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread