Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tim Ferris / Deconstruction Dozen 2013/7/25 23:20
Anyone who has read "The 4 hour Chef" knows that author Tim Ferris spend a significant amount of time in japan and speaks this language fluent.

In the previously mentioned book he presents a deconstruction dozen, 12 sentences to kickstart learning a language.

They are as follows:

The apple is red.
It is John's apple.
I give John the apple.
We give him the apple.

He gives it to John.
She gives it to him.

Is the apple red?
The apples are red.

I must give it to him.
I want to give it to her.
I'm going to know tomorrow.
I can't eat the apple.

Could somebody please translate them for me into Japanese and write them down in Romaji?

I am studying japanese with books from YesJapan as well.

Thanks in advance
by TonyINT  

Re: Tim Ferris / Deconstruction Dozen 2013/7/26 15:14
I wonder if this kind of approach is applicable to (or useful with) the Japanese language.

Even just to give you a straight translation, as there is no "the" or simple way to distinguish between singular and plural, I wonder if the first sentence is supposed to say "that (specific, one) apple is red" or "apples (as fruits of a species, collectively) are red." Furthermore, as the subject (particularly the "I") is often omitted where apparent from the context, in the Japanese language, I have to stop and think whether I should write "natural sentences" (omitting "I") or give you literal translation (which sounds somewhat unnatural). And we don't really use a lot of pronouns. Should I write in polite speech, or casual speech, etc., the questions are endless.

Is this supposed to help you understand the language any better than a decent grammar textbook? :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread