Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Phone card for US travellers 2013/7/26 05:32
Is there a phone card that we could buy so we could use our smart phones in Japan? I am from the US (using AT&T) with an iphone 5. My wife has a Samsung S4 (AT&T). What's the best way to use our phone and 4G in Japan? I am mostly interested in the internet since I want to check out maps on the street, for example.
by DarthBL (guest)  

Re: Phone card for US travellers 2013/7/26 09:07
If your phones are unlocked then you can use a prepaid or rental sim card. They are available in a few different configurations (in increasing cost: voice only, data only, data+voice) so let us know what your needs are and we can recommend some services. FYI, 4g may not be available for your iphones. You'll have to check the specs but it may be 3g only. I'm not sure about the samsung phone, I'd have to look up the details.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Phone card for US travellers 2013/7/26 09:08
I would rent a pocket WiFi device so both of you can benefit from the same unit.

I've used it from this company and will use it again in October. There are others out there to, like rentafone.

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Phone card for US travellers 2013/7/26 09:22
Yea, pocket wifi (aka mifi, mobile hotspot, personal hotspot, etc) are a good option if you only need mobile data service.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Phone card for US travellers 2013/7/26 09:33
Thanks guys--didn't know about pocket wifi--sounds cool and going to try it! My phone is not unlocked but this sounds like the perfect solution as I only need data
by DarthBL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Phone card for US travellers 2013/7/26 10:05
Just make sure to put your phones in "Airplane" mode while you're there so you don't incur in any surprise fees. The kit you get has all the instructions you need and you can pick it up at the airport post office or hotel and you can return it in any mail box. I returned mine at the airport after checking in my luggage to post on FB the photo of the departures board as I was leaving....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread