Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mobile Phone Netwok in Japan 2013/7/27 08:46
Hi, I'll be moving to Japan in a couple weeks for the JET program. I'm not sure how long I will be staying in Japan for, so I prefer not to be tied to a 2-year cell phone contract. Right now, my predecessor has offered to sell me her her 1-year old iPhone 4 for 27,072 yen. If I go with her iPhone 4, I will be signing a 2-year contract with A.U for 4,030 yen per month. The monthly fee at 4,030 isn't a bad idea for me, but I don't want to be tied to a contract and have to pay 9,975 yen for a termination fee if I only stay in Japan for 1 year.

This being said, I've been informed that e-mobile (Soft-bank)and b-mobile (Docomo) allows customers to use unlocked phones with their network. Does anyone have a recommendation for one of these mobile networks? Or, have you had experience with either of these mobile networks?

Thanks in advance! Any information provided is very much appreciated!!
by cynicus  

Re: Mobile Phone Netwok in Japan 2013/7/29 13:01
Right now, my predecessor has offered to sell me her her 1-year old iPhone 4 for 27,072 yen. If I go with her iPhone 4, I will be signing a 2-year contract with A.U for 4,030 yen per month. The monthly fee at 4,030 isn't a bad idea for me, but I don't want to be tied to a contract and have to pay 9,975 yen for a termination fee if I only stay in Japan for 1 year.

My first impression is that this is a bad deal for you especially if you will still be tied to a two year contract plus termination fee. If that's the case you will be better off just making a new contract. You'd be getting practically the same deal, but with a new, free, and possibly upgraded model phone.

This being said, I've been informed that e-mobile (Soft-bank)and b-mobile (Docomo) allows customers to use unlocked phones with their network. Does anyone have a recommendation for one of these mobile networks? Or, have you had experience with either of these mobile networks?

E-mobile and softbank are different companies and probably do not offer the services that you are looking for. The alternative would be b-mobile. Their voice+unlimited data monthly plans are comparable in price to making a contract phone, but their limited data plans might be able to save you money depending on your usage.

If It were me I would just make a new 2 year smartphone contract and face the termination fees if you do decide to leave after 1 year. The total outlay will be about the same as taking over your preds contract after one year and likely cheaper if you stay 2 years.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread