Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Giving money for paying bills 2013/7/27 17:40
Hi,

I'm not sure if this questions belongs to "Customs" or "Relationship":

Last month my Japanese penpal came to visit me for 3 days. On the first day she gave me an envelope with money, for me to pay everything, like restaurants, entrance fees etc.

Now I'll visit her for 2 weeks in November. My question is, how to handle the money? We decided to try a relationship, and I'd like to pay as much as possible. She told me she wants to cook me some Japanese dishes... and she wants to book a stay at an ryokan with onsen... now how to talk about the money, giving an envelope with money seems to be wrong...

What do you think?
by rope  

Re: Giving money for paying bills 2013/7/28 12:14
Are you just a kid or a grwon-up? How old is she?

If you are like a school boy, don't much worry about money while you are here.

If you are an adult, I would try to pay everything when we have a chance to pay for any bill like for restaurants, ryokan, thereater, etc, of course not only for my portion.

Yet, I guess she will try to feed you everywhere, if she is an adult.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Giving money for paying bills 2013/7/28 12:29
Just try to pay every time you get the opportunity, like at a restaurant, grocery shopping (if she lets you accompany her), hotel, etc. About the ryokan, she "might" have to pay in advance when she books it, I mean, she would probably pick the place and does the booking, I assume. When she tells you about the ryokan, you can ask how much it costs, because you want to pay for the two of you, and wants to be prepared with enough cash, or something like that.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread