Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rebuilding of shines 2013/7/29 22:04
When a shine is rebuilt every 20 years how much of the shine is rebuilt. Is the roof, beams, columns, floors, replaced? What is done with all of the materials that have been replaced. Is there a book on this subject?

Thank you, Terry
by ancon  

Re: Rebuilding of shines 2013/7/30 09:06
It is not "shine" but "shrine", and not all the shinto shirines are rebuilt every 20 years - only Ise Jingu.
As far as I checked at their website, the whole main building and some surrounding facilities are replaced.

It's called "Shikinen Sengu", some explanation on it in English here:
http://www.isejingu.or.jp/shosai/english/sikinen/sikinen.htm
by a cup of tea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rebuilding of shines 2013/7/30 09:18
sorry about the typo...yes, shrine is correct. Interesting for I can't find any books on this subject and what about the materials from the old shrine? Do they use the old materials. I did read one shrine is rebuilt every 60 years.
by ancon rate this post as useful

Re: Rebuilding of shines 2013/7/30 10:57
To answer your question, not all shrines are rebuilt every 20 years these day, but when major shrines are rebuilt it is common for the materials to be reused to rebuild or construct other shrines.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Rebuilding of shines 2013/7/30 11:17

Thank you.
To know materials are reused. Makes good sense. As a side light I do have a book which states the workers have 27, as I recall, special chisels for making the joints in temples and Shrines/ That they spend 50% of a day caring for their tools.

Re: Rebuilding of shines 2013/7/30 11:36
Although Ise-Jingu grand shrine is very famous as a_cup_of_tea said, also Izumo-Taisha grand shrine is rebuilt every 60 years in principle.
On this year, Heisei 25(=2013 A.D.), both shrines are rebuilt by chance.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Rebuilding of shines 2013/7/30 14:15
Almost all structures at the Outer and Inner Ise Shrines are rebuilt every 20 years, including the entire main sanctuaries, the auxiliary shrines, bridges and torii gates. And it is not limited to structures. Also a lot of the treasury and tools of the shrine are newly created to replace the old ones.

About 10,000 trees were needed for the rebuilding this time. Some of the wood came from the forests that belong to the Ise Shrines, but a lot of the really large pillars came from the Kiso Valley in Nagano. The wood from the old shrines is reused at other shrines in Japan, as selected by the Ise Shrines. Some of the main pillars of the main hall are reused for one of the main torii gate at Ise.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Rebuilding of shines 2013/7/30 20:36
Uji, most interesting & you have me thinking to estimate the amount of lumber in 10,000 trees. Do you know the type of tree used?
Thanks.

reply to this thread