Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

teaching medical English in Japan? 2013/7/30 10:38
Does anybody know of good websites, books, etc. where I could learn about any of the following:
1. Teaching Medical English to Japanese students
2. Medical Education in Japan
3. Teaching Medical English in general

I will start teaching in a couple of months and would like to do some background reading to prepare.

Thank you!
by stevenmcrane  

Re: teaching medical English in Japan? 2013/7/31 12:07
I'm puzzled. If you're going to be teaching soon, shouldn't you already know the subject matter you will be teaching?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: teaching medical English in Japan? 2013/7/31 12:15
I'm sorry, did you have anything helpful to offer?
by stevenmcrane rate this post as useful

Re: teaching medical English in Japan? 2013/7/31 14:49
stevenmcrane,

I believe John B digs Japan wanted clarification, BEFORE he could help. Actually I was wondering about the same - are you going to be teaching in the medical department of a university in Japan?

I am not sure if you are going to be teaching "general English" to students of medical school in Japan (as part of their general education), or if you have been asked specifically to provide thesis writing in English? Websites by different universities on the topic are available, but as they are educational methodologies, they tend to be in Japanese.

I have heard that in medical schools in Japan, the students are educated to be able to read English language medical literature, and to be able to write such papers too. Some universities have more emphasis on English, others less so. So...knowing exactly what you've been asked to teach would help us help your answer question better. Thank you for reading.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: teaching medical English in Japan? 2013/7/31 23:13
Sure - happy to clarify.

I've been hired by a university to teach Medical English to their medical students in required Medical English classes. This includes human anatomy, how to talk to patients, how to describe symptoms, useful word roots, etc.

I'm fluent in English and have a background in biology. So I'll know the content of what I'm supposed to teach, but I want to learn more about:
1. Teaching Medical English to Japanese students
2. Medical Education in Japan
3. Teaching Medical English in general

Thank you very much for any help.

Re: teaching medical English in Japan? 2013/8/1 02:23
I apologize if I sounded a bit harsh. It wasn't my intention.

I did a preliminary search and found a few sites you may find interesting. I think they mostly deal with the approach of teaching rather than the material, i.e. how to approach a subject, how much to teach at once, etc. I hope it helps.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686769/

http://www.usingenglish.com/articles/changing-paradigm-for-medical-eng...

by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: teaching medical English in Japan? 2013/8/2 02:44
Those look like great sources! I really appreciate your help.

reply to this thread