Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

clubbing for 20 y/o Tokyo 2013/8/3 00:36
Hey! I wanted to ask if anyone knows clubs in Tokyo,
where mostly young people go to. (in their twenties)

thank you in advance!
by decoji  

Re: clubbing for 20 y/o Tokyo 2013/8/3 23:29
Here's a list of dance clubs in Tokyo: http://www.whereintokyo.com/dbinx/club.html

Nobody over the age of 29 goes to clubs in Tokyo, so they should all be what you're looking for.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: clubbing for 20 y/o Tokyo 2013/8/5 00:39
Really?? and from their 30s they don't dance anymore? do they only go out for drinking at izakayas?
how curious..
by maxi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: clubbing for 20 y/o Tokyo 2013/8/5 08:56
@Maxi. Umami Dearest was just generalising. Obviously someone with an interest in clubbing isn't going to stop as soon as they've turned 30. I think they meant that most of the people that go to the major clubs that play up-to-date, mainstream dance music will be under 30, which I'm sure is true in most countries.

As someone who has recently moved to Japan and turned 30, I've had a very different experience. I never really went clubbing in my home country, but I've found that Tokyo's clubbing scene is very diverse, so there are lots of events I enjoy going to, even though I don't like modern house or trance music (which has nothing to do with my age, as I went to a major Trance event in Tokyo when I was 23, and didn't enjoy it).

The events I go to are quite niche, but none of them are retro events, and people from a variety of age groups attend them. I have several Japanese friends who are in their 40s that I go clubbing with practically every week, and I know someone who's in their late 30s and has been organising and DJing for an event for the last 10 years. There are plenty of people over 30 that still enjoy clubbing, and I don't think many clubs would try to make people over 30 feel unwelcome.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: clubbing for 20 y/o Tokyo 2013/8/5 15:59
thank you for the quick answers!!
I think that answered all my questions :)
by decoji rate this post as useful

Re: clubbing for 20 y/o Tokyo 2013/8/6 09:45
Umechan thank you for your really explanatory answer; and now, if you can tell, the name of some clubs who are more directed towards us "the old people" in our 30s would be really helpful
by Maxi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: clubbing for 20 y/o Tokyo 2013/8/6 11:42
I'd be interested too!

And yes, I may have been exaggerating a bit when I said no one over 29 goes clubbing, but I've definitely been to events where the median age seemed to be about 20. (Especially before the police got stricter about enforcing drinking-age laws.)

I imagine you might get an older crowd on weekends, and at events with big-name DJs and expensive admission prices (such as Ageha).

In general though I'd suggest looking through the calendars on the websites of the big clubs and picking a place based on the style of music that you like. If it's a toss-up, go for a place with a serious sound system such as Womb.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread