Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Foreign names 2013/8/9 06:18
Hi,
Foreigners might have a first name, and even, middle and family names difficult to translate or rude to pronounce in Japanese.

What should do a foreigner which is called Frederic, for instance, do to present itself to a Japanese person? (assuming middle and family name are even harder to be smoothly translated)

Thank you for your time,
Frederic
by furederiku (guest)  

Re: Foreign names 2013/8/9 11:54
Names are names, and "Frederic" is not a particularly difficult name to pronounce :)

As Japanese don't have middle names, you could, if you don't mind, introduce yourself with your first and family names, just to avoid the name sounding simply long for us to pick up on the first introduction.

I don't know if you are coming for a visit or to work in Japan, but if your name is really that difficult to pronounce, your colleagues or friends with settle down with a shorter nickname for you, after asking you if it's OK to call you by that. I would not worry.

My husband (continental European) has a middle name, but does not use it when he introduces himself in Japan. His family name is difficult to pronounce, so he ended up being called "(first name)-san" by Japanese colleagues.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Foreign names 2013/8/9 17:26
Thank you very much for your great answer :)
by Frederic (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foreign names 2013/8/9 23:07
I think introductions are universal.

Usually, people say things like,
"Hello. My name is Johann Sebastian Bach. Please call me Johnny."
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread