Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wifi while traveling 2013/8/10 17:21
What is the best way going about a portable wifi device? Are there any that you don't have to order over the Internet? I want to have Internet access while I'm in Japan so I can email family and friends photos and video etcetc
by fuwaface  

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/12 01:09
Most airports should have counters for different companies for renting phones, SIM cards, and portable wifi devices.

But I believe preordering online will offer best deals. Then you can pick up at counter, post office, or hotel.
by SBxJap rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/12 07:25
Thank you!
Is there much difference between the prices over the Internet or at the airport?

Ill probably be in need of a pocket wifi for atleast a month :(
by fuwaface rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/12 11:06
Is there much difference between the prices over the Internet or at the airport?

Yes, they are significantly cheaper to rent via the internet, especially for longer durations (more than one week). Expect a month's rental to cost about 15000-20000 yen from an internet outlet, vs around twice as much if rented from an airport kiosk.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/12 11:08

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/17 06:24
I used Global Advanced for my recent Japan trip and have nothing but positives about the experience. They will get back to inquires right away and are willing to make changes to itinerary without problems. Wi-fi was fast with hardly any dead spots.
by Rennzo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/19 14:41
If you can buy the wifi device at home, cheaper that way. eg. Android Tablets for $80 or less in the USA.

If you're talking about a wifi access point, then renting in Japan is the best way to go. Check airport rental locations first, then major city phone/electronics shops.

That said, free wifi can be had almost everywhere in most major cities in Japan - whether it's the coffee shops or elsewhere.

Heck, even train companies provide free wifi (eg. www.jreast.co.jp/e/pdf/free_wifi_02_e.pdf)
by =) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/20 00:42
How about plug point for charging the phone ? Will coffee shops, restaurants and trains provide them ?
My android battery runs fast.
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/20 06:52
if you battery dies fast, look to invest in external battery pack. Look for sales since some can be expensive.

This way you can charge your phone or any other USB device like ipad, ipod, etc etc.

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/20 11:01
Will coffee shops, restaurants and trains provide them ?

Many coffee shops, and some long distance trains do. Otherwise, power plugs may be difficult to find. USB portable batteries are readily available at electronics and convenience stores, and tend to cost from around 2000 yen.

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/21 12:23
Talking about charging electronics; is it hard to find AU-JPN power points? I'm from Australia so could I find them here? Or will it be more expensive?
by fuwaface rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/21 12:35
They are available at your typical electronics or home goods store, but while they are neither particularly difficult to find nor expensive, I'd still recommend getting one at home so you don't have to waste sightseeing time looking for them.

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/21 20:52
What is usb portable battery ?
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wifi while traveling 2013/8/22 21:03
It's a device that you charge beforehand and carry with you.

They come in different sizes and different power capacities. I have one that's about size of my cellphone. When the portable battery is fully charged, it can charge my phone about 4 times.

You plug your USB phone charge cable (or anything else that charges by USB) and it'll slowly charge your phone. It's good to have if you are on the move and can't find an outlet or you can't sit and wait for your depleted phone to charge.

reply to this thread