Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Long-term stay 2013/8/14 05:56
I'm looking for information on visa's..

I'm a Canadian citizen, and intend to be going to Japan shortly to visit some friends who live abroad.

I know that I can stay 90 days on a tourist "visa" but I was wondering, should I want to stay longer, is there a way to do that..

Money is a non issue, so I don't intend on working there. I'm mostly going for traveling/tourism, visiting friends and learning Japanese.

Can I take classes at a school, or through private tutouring classes and get a visa this way? Or can I get some other kind of visa that would let me stay longer than 90 days (should I want to).

Thanks in advance.
by Hanna (guest)  

Re: Long-term stay 2013/8/14 09:28
If you are not suspicious, you can do a trip to a surrounding country(S Korea, Taiwan, China, Thailand, Guam etc.) and re-enter Japan and your tourist visa is renewed.

This works only once or a few times.
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long-term stay 2013/8/14 10:54
If some kind of visa isn't a viable option and I choose to do this, how long would I have to leave Japan for? A week or so?
by Hanna (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Long-term stay 2013/8/14 12:16
A visa run is a viable option if you want to stay less than 180 days and have more flexibility. There's no minimum time that you need to leave the country, but you may as well get use of your international flight and stay at least a few days in Korea, Taiwan, where ever you end up going.

If you plan to stay longer then consider getting a working holiday visa from the start. You'll need more planning and money and must apply before you intend to go to Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Long-term stay 2013/8/14 12:33
Are you between 18 and 30 years of age?

If so you could try a Working Holiday Visa. It's good for 1 year stay in Japan.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread