Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling and Visiting to Japan 2013/8/14 10:04
Hello everyone!

Like everybody here on this forum, I have a strong interest in the Japanese culture and language. I haven't even been to Japan yet. But I hope to go to Japan sometime in the future. I wanted to ask a few questions in regards to travelling and visiting to Japan. Before I get to my questions, I would like to provide some background first.

I've been doing some research into Japan and it seems like Japan isn't all just videogames and technology. Japanese society to a large extend is xenophobic towards foreigners or gaikokujin (ŠO‘l). I believe that tends to apply more to the older generation of Japanese people. Now, the younger and current generation of Japanese people are more tolerant of foreigners and more influenced by Western culture. Speaking of interest in foreigners, I've read that foreigners tend to get "special attention". I've read that some Japanese people would come up to you and they want to take a picture with you. Is that true?

In addition, I've also read that there are "Gaijin Hunters" in Japan. Should I be scared or worried about them? I plan on going on a bus tour in Japan with a group of tourists. I know that I'm an extremely good looking guy who also likes to dress nice. I'm not interested in trying to make romantic relationships with Japanese women. Although I admit some of them are very cute. I just want to be immersed in the Japanese culture, language, and history.

Does my Japanese have to be 100% perfect in order for me to enjoy my trip to Japan? I'm not planning on living in Japan or anything like that. I'm familiar with basic Japanese though. :]

I hope for some replies to my questions/worries about travelling to Japan.

Thank you! :]

by silentninja101  

Re: Travelling and Visiting to Japan 2013/8/14 12:12
I've been doing some research into Japan and it seems like Japan isn't all just videogames and technology.

Research well done!

Japanese society to a large extend is xenophobic towards foreigners or gaikokujin (ŠO‘l).

I personally cannot subscribe to that statement. As a foreigner living in Japan I have experienced nothing but friendliness and politeness. The people around me have constantly been keen on integrating me in their community. This is strikingly different to my home country, Switzerland, where I feel much more xenophobia towards foreigners. Then again, people in general are less polite and friendly there. Also, I think I have been particularly lucky.

I believe that tends to apply more to the older generation of Japanese people. Now, the younger and current generation of Japanese people are more tolerant of foreigners and more influenced by Western culture.

I make the opposite experience. It is the older generation (40s upwards) that I feel is very friendly and open towards foreigners and interested in the world. The younger generation, on the other hand, seems increasingly alienated, shy towards foreigners and ignorant about the world. But there are many friendly people also among the younger generations, as well.

Speaking of interest in foreigners, I've read that foreigners tend to get "special attention". I've read that some Japanese people would come up to you and they want to take a picture with you. Is that true?

Yes, that can happen if you are a member of a visibly minority.

In addition, I've also read that there are "Gaijin Hunters" in Japan. Should I be scared or worried about them?

You should be both scared and worried. Your exotic beauty is likely to attract these gaijin hunters like a cheese attracts bees. You may want to use sunglasses and a mask to hide your attractiveness.

Does my Japanese have to be 100% perfect in order for me to enjoy my trip to Japan?

Yes, even just 99% perfection will ruin the trip.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling and Visiting to Japan 2013/8/14 13:26
Uji got it right.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling and Visiting to Japan 2013/8/14 14:18
First of all, I think you could deal with some humility. You are the first person I know here who said he is extremely good looking and dresses well. Perhaps you could post a picture here and see if there are any "gaijin hunters" who will send you a private message. You know, test waters. And I don't understand what's the biggie about "good-looking gaijin", seriously. Why not just relax, be yourself and enjoy the trip!
by MYK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling and Visiting to Japan 2013/8/14 20:19
Just to expand on the previous posts, I'm sure you already used to a lot of unwanted attention - dealing with Japanese shouldn't be a special problem for you.

As for xenophobia, Japan has been overanalyzed. In contrast, in the U.S. (you might be familiar) it's barely a topic of conversation. But if you look at the political conversations, the U.S. is the country with much more anti-foreigner ranting.

Overall, I think Japan is about the same as everyone else. But due to their polite manners, I don't think you would feel any hostility.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling and Visiting to Japan 2013/8/15 06:42
Thank you everyone for your replies! I really appreciate it. At least now I know what to expect when I go to Japan. :]

MYK, I apologize if I came off as rude. It wasn't my intention. It is true that I'm good looking and that I have good taste in fashion. I should have said "good looking" instead of "extremely good looking". I guess I overstated myself by mistake. Oops! XD Also, I will try to relax and have fun on my future trip to Japan.
by silentninja101 rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling and Visiting to Japan 2013/8/19 07:30
Hahha Uji's "99% perfection will ruin the trip"

Japan is a beautiful country and every individual all over the world has different values, likes, dislikes, etc so just don't worry what anyone thinks and enjoy your trip, be polite and I'm sure you'll come back alive and satisfied!
by fuwaface rate this post as useful

reply to this thread