Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can you teach history in Japan 2013/8/14 20:13
Hello, I'm from the Netherlands and I was wondering if I can teach European or some kind of other History on Japanese schools or Colleges. I intend to finish my Bachelor in Teaching History and afterwards to study for the Master of Education.
If I have these qualifications would it be possible to become a teacher in Japan?
Do you also have to be good in Japanese?

by DarkEquation  

Re: Can you teach history in Japan 2013/8/15 09:28
Hello, I'm from the Netherlands and I was wondering if I can teach European or some kind of other History on Japanese schools or Colleges.

It is possible that you could teach in a private school or college, should you be fortunate enough to find a position.

I intend to finish my Bachelor in Teaching History and afterwards to study for the Master of Education.
If I have these qualifications would it be possible to become a teacher in Japan?

Private schools can hire whoever they want, but at the same time they generally have the means to hire more qualified people. But to work in public highs schools, you would need a Japanese teaching license. Basically if you would need the equivalent Japanese qualifications as would be required to teach in your home country. Note that public high schools generally don't teach European History as a specific class, rather as part of a broader history curriculum.

Fluency would be required to get a teaching license.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Can you teach history in Japan 2013/8/15 22:29
I don't know if you'll find many people here with first hand knowledge of this. So let me speculate - while possible, I believe it would be a struggle. I knew 2 foreign instructors at the university level. One had good Japanese and taught music. The second had incredible Japanese (he liked to show off) and taught economics (he was also an advisor to the government). If you are a rock star in your field, you might not need Japanese to get hired. Your chances are good, at least for short-term positions (like a visiting professor). Otherwise, even if you teach in English, the school administration would 1) want to deal with you in Japanese and 2) expect you to be able to communicate with your students in japanese outside of the classroom.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Can you teach history in Japan 2013/8/16 10:22

Can you imagine teaching European History in Netherlands without being fluent in Dutch?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can you teach history in Japan 2013/8/19 16:00
Can you imagine teaching European History in Netherlands without being fluent in Dutch?

Teaching in English may not be the issue since there are many high schools and universities that instruct in English, but as ChicagoMike pointed out, interactions with the administration would more than likely be conducted in Japanese.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread