Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fun things that made your trip memorable? 2013/8/18 13:29
Whats something fun that you did on your trip that made it that much more enjoyable and memorable. An example of what im looking for would be like 'vending machine hunt' finding all the different types of vending machines and taking a picture of them.
Or
posing for photos dragon ball z style, or kamehameha style.
Or helping the people at the train station push people onto the train.

just something fun/funny/interesting that really made the trip yours.
by I wanna go Japan  

Re: Fun things that made your trip memorable? 2013/8/21 04:05
Not in Japan, because I wasn't there yet, but what I like doing when visiting a new place is getting to a coffe chop or a restaurant or a bakery and asking for the 'local sweet' or 'local cake'.
by CecilSoares rate this post as useful

Re: Fun things that made your trip memorable? 2013/8/21 10:04
I took photos of signs of all the train stations I used. Next time I'll look for man-hole covers and photograph them. Some are beautiful!

I wouldn't recommend helping push people onto trains as it's not your job and people may take offense.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Fun things that made your trip memorable? 2013/8/21 10:40
Or helping the people at the train station push people onto the train.

Definitely don't do that, unless you want to risk be arrested.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Fun things that made your trip memorable? 2013/8/21 16:18
Go to local supermarkets and see what local produce they sell; like fruits, veggies or okashi and also understand their tastes. This is rare as i only see one supermart during my stay in Osaka. Different town people have different tastes.

The second option will be easier - Go to convenience stores and try the different juices, jellies, yoghurts and okashi. :)

I guess you will not get bored in Japan because it's so huge and you will always be surprised! Different prefectures have their own popular/special food and brands. Even the locals can be surprised at what they find, what more a foreigner. I'm so looking forward to my trip!
by bebegurl (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Fun things that made your trip memorable? 2013/8/22 04:29
I have lots of different memories that might not be fun as much as funny. Like the time I got lost in Shibuya for 2 hours! I was on my way to see my tattoo artist, and I thought I could walk to their shop from Shibuya. Well, turns out you can't and in trying to find them I got hopelessly lost in a lot of side streets.

When I finally found a main road, I was so tired and hot I just wanted to sit down and cry. But I knew I couldn't, so I pulled out my map of Tokyo and started trying to figure out where I was when a kind man spotted me and asking in english if I was lost.

I was trying really hard not to cry, so I nodded and said "Shibuya Station?".

And he gave me this really funny look, pointed and said "It's right there..."

I was 2 blocks away from Shibuya Station. The whole time. *facepalm*

-------------------------------------

The other one that was funny in a strange way was when I finally got to Ishigaki Island. This was the part of my trip where I was hoping to do nothing but relax on a beautiful beach. I knew before I left Canada that there are poisonous jellyfish in the waters in Okinawa, but the beach house owners gave me a Stinger Suit to wear in case I wanted to swim. The owner however said it was WAY too early for jellyfish this year.

So, the sun is setting and I'm taking pictures at the beach. The water is beautiful, and I decide to go back to the beach house to put on the stinger suit so I can swim. I had been standing in water up to my knees and as I turned to get out of the water, I walked into the only jellyfish for miles.

Of course!

Thankfully it wasn't a bad sting, and while they can kill you, all this one did was irritate my skin really badly with his tentacles. The owner of the beach house had to go down to the water and drag it out of the ocean because they have kids and other guests, and they can't risk anything serious happening at the beach. :(

When the wife of the owner asked me how it happened, I said "Well obviously, I said I hadn't been stung in a very long time by a jellyfish, so this guy decided to be the one to break my streak."

Oh Japan, never change. :)
by Amyranth (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread