Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 2013/8/23 05:00
Does the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 work in Japan? And how can I find out generally if my mobile phone works in Japan?

Thank you!
by Bullet Train  

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 2013/8/24 00:38
That depends on what you mean by "work". I went to Japan from Canada and I was told I could have my phone unlocked, and then order a SIM card from SoftBank or DoCoMo and put it in my phone when I arrived so that I could make phone calls.

However, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note, and when I checked those places, they did not have SIM cards for the phone. At that point, unlocking it would have been useless because no SIM card = no phone calls.

If you're looking at using your phone for data, like maps and internet access, you should still check the SoftBank/DoCoMo website. I think you still need a SIM card if you plan to use your phone for that.

I ended up using the WiFi at the hostels and my iPod Touch to communicate with everyone back home. I couldn't make phone calls, but I could use Facebook, email and Instagram to connect if needed to.

You can also rent a portable wifi hotspot to carry with you, so that you always have access to the internet wherever you are. I think so long as you're not off hiking it works?

I plan to rent one of those for my next trip because I got lost a few times and being able to use the Google Maps function on my iPod would have really come in handy. :/
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 2013/8/24 18:42
Thank you for your answer.

Firstable I'd like to do phone calls, using a japanese SIM card. Does someone know if that's possible with this mobile phone?
by Bullet Train rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 2013/8/26 11:34
Yes, your phone will work with a Japanese sim assuming it is unlocked first. Voice and data are supported (as long as they are supported by the sim).

However, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note, and when I checked those places, they did not have SIM cards for the phone.

The Samsung Galaxy Note is also supported for both voice and data in Japan. Note that neither softbank nor docomo directly sell/rent prepaid sim cards for your device. You could get one from the numerous wireless operators online or at the airport kiosks. Here's a list of what's available at Narita:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_19.html#t1
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 2013/8/26 23:06
From what I have gathered, japan does not support GSM/edge, As long as the phone support umts or 3G 2100hz then it should work in japan.

As stated, your phone must be unlocked.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus S7500 2013/9/1 20:44
Thank you for your answers. So the next problem is getting a SIM Card...
by Bullet Train rate this post as useful

reply to this thread