Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

-te form 2013/8/28 04:57
Can someone tell me conjugations of
formal future
formal future negative
informal future
informal future negative

I mean how to say
I will walk
I wont walk
In formal and informal ways, im a bit confused about these.

Aruite? Arukanaide?
And Im confused now... Well thank you. ^^
by larissa oz  

Re: -te form 2013/8/28 09:07
here is no clear "future" conjugation that is distinct from the "present."

- Arukimasu (I walk/I will walk - polite)
- Arukimasen (I don't walk/I won't walk - polite)

- Aruku (I walk/I will walk - informal)
- Arukanai (I don't walk/I won't walk - informal)

There are other expressions to say something like "I intend to walk," or "I go by walking," but that takes a different sentence structure.

The expression you are looking for uses the "te-form"?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: -te form 2013/8/28 09:08
My post was supposed to start: "There is no clear..." :) I left out the "T" at the beginning, sorry.

Re: -te form 2013/8/28 17:52
Thanks for the answer.
At first I knew that future and present conjugation was same.
But than in a video it said that -te form was used for future so Im confused.

Than what is aruite and arukanaide used for what is the difference between these and arukimasu etc.?

Thanks again :)
by larissa oz rate this post as useful

Re: -te form 2013/8/28 18:14
Ummm. Can you recall exactly how that "te-form" was used in the sentence?

For example, can it have been something like:
- Gakko ni aruite ikimasu. (I go to school by walking.) = describes "how" you go to school.
- Ashita, Asakusa no machi wo aruite, kanko shite, oishii shokuji wo tabete, tanoshimimasu. (Tomorrow, I will enjoy walking the town of Asakusa, do sightseeing, and eat delicious food.) = talking about a few different things you do one after another.

"aruite" is the te-form, and "arukanaide" is the negative te-form. This is by itself does not mean, present/future, past, or any tense. These are used together with other verbs (as I wrote the two examples together above) to express different meanings.

te-form + "kudasai (making a request)
- Yukkuri aruite kudasai. (Please walk slowly.)
- Kyoukashowo minaide kudasai. (Please do not look at the textbook.)

te-form + "mimasu" ("try doing something")
- Natto wa hajimete desu. Tabete mimasu. (This is the first "natto" for me. I will try eating it.)
- Michi ga wakarimasen. Koban de kiite mimasu. (I don't know the way. I will try asking at the police box.)
- Sono eiga wo mite mimasu. (I will try watching that movie - to see if I like it or not.)

te-form + "kimasu" (go and do something (and come back))
- Tomodachi ga uchi ni kita node, o-kashi wo katte kimasu. (My friends came to visit me, so I will go and get some snack (and come back).)

You will learn those "te-form + (other verb)" combination over time :)

Re: -te form 2013/8/28 22:36
Arigatou ne, wakarimashita. ^^ Now I understood it, can I ask you a question next time by sending message if I dont get something? Thanks again :)
by larissa oz rate this post as useful

reply to this thread