Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work to live, or live to work 2013/8/30 00:11
As you know, in western countries, a job is especially seen as a way to earn money and use that money to have the best life as possible. Buy a new home, buy a new car, make a wonderful trip abroad, etc...
Western people "work to live".

To the people who lived in Japan long enough to judge the way of thinking in Japan: do you think that the Japanese "live to work", as described in a lot of biased articles?

Is it true that Japanese people would rather stay at work until 12hPM than to spend time with their family and children?

I've read on some articles that more and more Japanese are used to do "part time jobs" (Arubaito). I guess that those people are not obsessed by work, and think close to a Western worker... But maybe I'm wrong.

If you can share your opinions, thanks ;)

by izquierda  

Re: Work to live, or live to work 2013/8/30 12:28
Western people "work to live".

do you think that the Japanese "live to work", as described in a lot of biased articles?

I think the premises that westerners "work to live" and Japanese "live to work" are both flawed. You'll easily find large portions in each group that defy the stereotypes.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Work to live, or live to work 2013/8/31 14:18
It used to be that company employees' proper role has been to contribute to the company faithfully as much as they could, so that the company would reciprocate by giving them decent salary and raises, until the end of their career (or company life). This was true while the economy has been continuously growing. During those times it was expected (particularly) of male employees to do whatever late-night work or business trips as required by the employers. And it was worth it for them too.

However, as economy changed, companies do not "take care" of their employees any more, at least not as well as they used to. People started thinking about their own career path outside one company, and about their own life outside one company.

About the part-time job, I believe you've gotten different stories mixed in together. Many young people have no choice but to take up only part-time or contract work, as companies are not hiring full-time, regular employees as they used to :(

But I guess those changes must have happened in the West as well, this is not really only about Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Work to live, or live to work 2013/9/5 03:19
I don't know if anyone wants to work from 8 or 9am to midnight, but I do know some men get so used to the routine that they feel alienated when they do finally have time to spend with their families.

Btw, I find that most societies value hard work - it's rooted in their religious traditions - but modern society sometimes deviates from it.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread