Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using Google Voice 2013/8/31 23:08
As an alternative to renting a phone for 18 day stay in Japan I may use Google Voice. Primary purpose of cell phone in Japan is to call other travelers with US numbers or for outgoing calls. If I understand it correctly these calls will be penny's per minute. Is that correct?

My understanding is a person can make a goggle voice call without being connected to the Internet. Is that correct? I will have a goggle access number and account with money credited to it.

Can a caller with a Japanese number call a goggle voice number? If so how is it charged?

Can a caller with a Japanese phone/number text a google voice number and how is that charged?

Thanks and I may have follow up questions

by luck1223  

Re: Using Google Voice 2013/9/2 23:42
I don't know Google Voice well but let me advise you.
First, you have to know there aren't less free wi-fi spots than in USA.
If you want to use free wi-fi in starbucks, you have to register in advance.
http://starbucks.wi2.co.jp/pc/index_en.html
by d kanai rate this post as useful

Re: Using Google Voice 2013/9/3 00:57
--My understanding is a person can make a goggle voice call without being connected to the Internet.

In the US, it would normal backend the call over the cell network to call a special google number and then google connects you to the number you are calling. So for in that case, no you do not need a net connection but with how you are asking the question, it would not work for you in Japan.

--I will have a goggle access number and account with money credited to it.

You only need money on a google number if you are using it to call international numbers. US calls are free

--Can a caller with a Japanese number call a goggle voice number? If so how is it charged?

Yes but it would be an international call for the Japanese number (as the number they are caling is US based)

--Can a caller with a Japanese phone/number text a google voice number and how is that charged?

Per https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115116?hl=en

No

I can give a bit of info on Google Voice. GV simply gives you a US number. You can then us third party programs such as GrooVe IP (on android) to make calls to other numbers. This would be the same as caling from you computer using gmail. As long as you are calling US numbers these are free. Otherwise there is a per min fee which can be looked up here https://www.google.com/voice/rates

If you are trying to communicate to people on the cheap, I would recommend email and as one of the other posters said use the public wifi to check your mail.

If you need real time communication, as far as I know, you can either rent a phone/SIM or rent a wifi device and then use either Skype or Google Handouts or the like to talk to each other.
by FoxWolfe rate this post as useful

Re: Using Google Voice 2013/9/3 01:09
Thank you for the replies... so in Japan I would need the a wifi signal to make a google voice call....thanks.

The per min. cost calling a Japan number is 3 cents per min so if I have wifi the cost is close to free.

I have been to Japan several times recently and I would think wifi would be readily available but I read on this site that internet is surprisingly difficult to locate. I am still not clear on that.

Thanks again. We leave Thursday so I need to make a plan.
by luck1223 rate this post as useful

Re: Using Google Voice 2013/9/3 11:46
As an alternative to renting a phone for 18 day stay in Japan I may use Google Voice. Primary purpose of cell phone in Japan is to call other travelers with US numbers or for outgoing calls. If I understand it correctly these calls will be penny's per minute. Is that correct?

Yes, but as already mentioned that will only work with a smartphone when on a wifi network. I'd recommend bringing a small wireless router since many of the hotel rooms only offer wired internet. Also you should use apps like Talkatone that really make google voice into a standalone voip service on a smartphone. Btw, what type of phone will you be using it with?

My understanding is a person can make a goggle voice call without being connected to the Internet. Is that correct?

I believe it is still possible, but at this point it would probably be charged as an expensive international roaming call.

Can a caller with a Japanese number call a goggle voice number? If so how is it charged?

Yes, its free to you if you are on wifi or (most likely) an international incoming call if you are not on wifi. The other person is charged a regular international call to the US.

Can a caller with a Japanese phone/number text a google voice number and how is that charged?

Not directly from their phone's messaging app. It should be possible via internet based texting services though.

Thank you for the replies... so in Japan I would need the a wifi signal to make a google voice call....thanks.

To make totally free calls yes.

The per min. cost calling a Japan number is 3 cents per min so if I have wifi the cost is close to free.

Yes, to landlines. Mobiles are 11 cents per minute.

I have been to Japan several times recently and I would think wifi would be readily available but I read on this site that internet is surprisingly difficult to locate. I am still not clear on that.

Its getting more and more common. Check out this page for more info:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2279.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Using Google Voice 2013/9/3 12:04
I forgot to mention I have an iPhone 5.
by luck1223 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread