Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

petite modeling in Japan? 2013/9/2 05:03
I was shopping Japanese clothing that was one size only. So the height and weight of the models were next to the pictures. Almost all of them were 164-165 cm tall, which is my height.

I have a model agency here but I have never booked a job. I came close to booking jobs from past auditions, but for the most part, most people book tall girls.

Are there model agencies that wouldn't take a petite girl like me? I have a young teen looking face and I'm white. I also study Japanese so I can speak and read a little.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
by Londonople  

Re: petite modeling in Japan? 2013/9/2 10:58
It may be possible but you need a visa to work and no modeling agency will ever sponsor a work visa. Most of foreigners who work as models have a spouse visa, cultural visa, work visa etc...
by MK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: petite modeling in Japan? 2013/9/3 10:39
There are a lot of petite pretty girls here, so they don't need to hire foreigners.
by y.g (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: petite modeling in Japan? 2013/9/4 05:48
I was thinking about moving there for a while to study, no one out there who actually knows about modeling in Japan?
by Londonople (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: petite modeling in Japan? 2013/9/5 10:49
Hi.I used to work for Japan's no.1 or no.2 mail order company and was doing editorial job for a while.I was one of those who chose models with professional stylists and photographers at auditions.I do not think you are necessarily a petite model but average model height was probably 170-175cm.I do not live in Japan anymore but I believe gaijin models are still on demand. My company used Japanese models for most of adult clothes but some items needed gaijin models such as underwear or non-clothes items. Difficulty of using gaijin model for clothes is, manufacturers make photo-shoot samples using a particular size but Caucasians generally have longer limbs than Japanese have therefore they do not fit.Manufacturers do not make samples for one particular model unless you were a known supermodel.However once you meet model agencies and have a word they probably would recommend you to be a model for other areas such as TV commercials or whatever.It is all up to your appearance and your ability. Or some company may use gaijin models only.Anyway this is from my own experience and hope my comment helps. So I'd say go for it.
by Lyrebird (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: petite modeling in Japan? 2013/9/5 12:03
@Lyrebird

The work visa remains a huge problem and you know very well that agencies don't sponsor work visa unless she is a supermodel.

To earn money and work in Japan she needs a work visa, you also need to keep in mind that modelling does not feed you, you can't pay your rent only by modelling. All those gajins who work as models have some real jobs beside modelling.
by MK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: petite modeling in Japan? 2013/9/5 12:38
I was thinking about moving there for a while to study

Presumably the OP would be in Japan on a student visa, in which case it would be totally feasible to model part time.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread