Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Electrical question 2013/9/4 04:55
I have a Japanese wine fridge that I got for free. The compressor Doesn't work. I was wondering if anyone knew if maybe it was damaged by being plugged into an American outlet without a converter. What if anything might have been damaged?
by Alex (guest)  

Re: Electrical question 2013/9/4 16:08
To answer part of the question: You can safely use Japanese electrical devices in the US and vice versa.
by DTryPleX rate this post as useful

Re: Electrical question 2013/9/5 09:01
The standard Japanese AC voltage is 100V. The standard US voltage is 120V, and suppliers aim to keep the voltage between 114-126V.

Although the voltage is similar, it's possible that some devices are more sensitive to higher US voltages. So it's possible that you cooler has been damaged by the US voltage, particularly if the supply is in the higher range (126V)
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Electrical question 2013/9/5 11:16
I have a Japanese wine fridge that I got for free. The compressor Doesn't work. I was wondering if anyone knew if maybe it was damaged by being plugged into an American outlet without a converter. What if anything might have been damaged?

What's its history? Was it broken before you got it? How long was it used in the US? It is possible that the higher voltage caused it to burn out prematurely. That is one of the dangers of using Japanese electrical goods in the US. But if the fridge is relatively new, worked previously in the US, and the compressor suddenly burned out then my guess is that the fridge was improperly stored or transported.

To answer part of the question: You can safely use Japanese electrical devices in the US and vice versa.

Yes and no, but mostly it depends on the device and the direction you are going (Japan to US or US to Japan). For example, Japanese goods with heating elements will put out more energy when used in the US and can become a fire hazard. At the very least, your device may burnout prematurely.

In terms of usage, many devices are dependent on the input voltage to work correctly (e.g. things with heating elements, alarm clocks, some types of battery chargers, etc.). They might not work as expected when used outside their home country.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread