Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3mth/6mth + nano sim? 2013/9/4 20:38
Hi everyone,

I know there are a million questions about this – thank you for reading mine. I'm about to go to Japan for 6 months and keeping my mobile phone connected there is seriously the most complicated thing in my life!

I have an unlocked iPhone 5 from the UK. I'm looking to buy a sim card with a 3 or 6 month contract... voice would be nice, but data-only seems to be much simpler. Ideally around \3000 per month or under with a good enough speed to use VoIP.

b-mobile seems to be the most recommended network, but they don't offer many options with a nano sim... Can you recommend anything else?

If anyone could give any guidance for my situation I will be eternally grateful :)

Thank you!
by milkbottle (guest)  

Re: 3mth/6mth + nano sim? 2013/9/5 12:35
What will your visa status be?

Without a resident visa, you will be limited to rental sims to get voice+data. They are expensive, though so expect to spend around 20,000 yen per month for one.

If you will be a resident you'll be able to get a prepaid voice+data sims. They are a bit cheaper but still cost from around 3000 yen/month (but possibly more due to various fees) + calling charges. Note that the LTE on bmobile is not supported on the iphone 5. 3g is however.

If you are just staying for 6 months I'd consider getting a softbank voice only prepaid (free with unlimited email for 300yen/mo) and then subscribing for a paid wifi service like Wi2 (roughly 400 yen/mo). It will be a little bit limited compared to a voice+data sim, but a whole lot cheaper.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: 3mth/6mth + nano sim? 2013/9/5 16:39
Thanks a lot for your advice :)

Sorry I forgot to mention, unfortunately I'll just be on a tourist visa (extending it after 90 days when I'm in Japan). I know that makes things more difficult... data-only is probably the best way to go I think. I'm hoping I can survive on LINE/Skype alone heh. The prepaid SoftBank option you suggested is for residents only, right?

I was thinking of something like the bmobile FAIR sim... 3G will suffice I think. Or would it be better to ask one of my Japanese friends to sign for a better contract for residents only for me? ...That's not illegal, is it? haha
by milkbottle (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3mth/6mth + nano sim? 2013/9/5 16:41
Oh and the main problem with bmobile FAIR is that there's not nano sim option, and I'm thinking cutting it down to fit myself will have a 67% chance of working heh.

Re: 3mth/6mth + nano sim? 2013/9/5 18:39
Sorry I forgot to mention, unfortunately I'll just be on a tourist visa (extending it after 90 days when I'm in Japan). I know that makes things more difficult... data-only is probably the best way to go I think. I'm hoping I can survive on LINE/Skype alone heh. The prepaid SoftBank option you suggested is for residents only, right?

No, softbank prepaids can be obtained by tourists. I'd probably go ahead and get a softbank prepaid phone for calling/email. Then see if you really need mobile data, in which case I'd get a paid wifi subscription or a b-mobile sim.

I was thinking of something like the bmobile FAIR sim... 3G will suffice I think. Or would it be better to ask one of my Japanese friends to sign for a better contract for residents only for me? ...That's not illegal, is it? haha

I think its technically illegal. Either way it'll be easier and cheaper to just use 2 devices compared to getting a voice+data sim

Oh and the main problem with bmobile FAIR is that there's not nano sim option, and I'm thinking cutting it down to fit myself will have a 67% chance of working heh.

You should be able to easily cut it down to size.

Re: 3mth/6mth + nano sim? 2013/9/5 20:24
Thank you so much for answering my questions!

SoftBank prepaid sounds like a good and cheap option - I probably will follow your advice... but is this the correct site?
http://mb.softbank.jp/en/prepaid_service/purchasing_procedures.html

...I don't think I have any of the required documents...

Re: 3mth/6mth + nano sim? 2013/9/6 10:05
That's it. Note that most (but not all) softbank outlets will sell a prepaid to tourists as long as they present their passport and hotel address. The shops on this list have english speaking staff and are confirmed to sell prepaids to tourists:

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/customer_support/shops.html

Re: 3mth/6mth + nano sim? 2013/10/9 13:53
Please see pre-paid SIM for data comm in Japan at BWI shop (www.bwiph.com) in Ikebukuro/Tokyo. You can see the detail info at http://www.bwiph.com/home/cosmo-prepaid-internet-sim-card/

Describe brief info as below.
1. You can choose Standard SIM or Micro SIM. You may cut Micro SIM to Nano if you like.
2. Initial SIM's cost is JPY3150.
3. Daily usage is JPY60 per day.
4. You should buy JPY2000 pre-paid charge card at the same time.
5. Once your pre-paid amount is finished (means zero amount), you can re-charge 2000 yen at convenience store in Japan.
by Morizo21 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread