Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/7 03:53
Like Pacific Coffee in HK, Costa Coffee in China, what's the famous coffee chain in Japan ?
by Lee (guest)  

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/7 20:19
Komeda!!!
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/8 01:00
Starbucks Cafe
Tully's Cafe
Excelsior Cafe
by haro (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/8 01:37
Hmm, don't know the HK/China examples, but Doutor is probably the most famous coffee-shop chain in Japan: http://www.doutor.co.jp/
They also have a sister-shop chain called Excelsior.

Other big names are Kohikan (http://www.kohikan.jp/ ), Pronto, and Cafe de Crie, and US-based Starbucks and Tully's.

There are some famous cafes too, but that's probably not what you're looking for.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/8 16:14
Komeda is famous for the sweet dessert.
http://www.komeda.co.jp/contents/n_shirono.php

The ice cream on the hot bread!

Note :Most Komeda's in Aichi are places to smoke.
by qwerty2012 rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/8 21:56
Are there branches of Komeda outside of Aichi? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/8 22:16
There are 23 komeda branches in Tokyo, 27 in kanagawa, 8 in Chiba, 9 in Saitama, 8 in Kyoto, 22 in Osaka, 1 in Hiroshima, 1 in Fukuoka, 261 in Aichi, 519 in Japan.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/9 01:04
Wow, I'm familiar with Aichi, Tokyo and Kanagawa, yet I'd never heard of Komeda.

There's a whole bunch of "famous" cafe chains in Japan (old-timers would even say Colorado) but if you're asking for must-trys, I'd definately recommend Doutor because of their quality and service for the price, and Pronto because they're famous for serving both alcohol and soft drinks, both of good quality and atmosphere for the price; great for drinkers and non-drinkers getting together just for a drink or two.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/9 01:16
YMMV on Doutor. When you order an iced latte at Starbucks and many other shops you get freshly pulled espresso served with milk and ice. At Doutor you get something horrible poured out of a box. And their shops are all pretty smoky.

They do serve some decent sandwiches though.

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/9 01:52
There are not many, but a few 100% non-smoking Dotour cafe. Gaienmae shop is the one. The interior decor is more sophisticated, and since it is totally non-smoking, I love the place. As to the drinks, well, it is OK (not great) because they are cheap.
by cup of tea (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/9 03:09
Doutor coffee chain is the most famous in Japan, but I feel that the atmosphere is different from the photograph of the coffee shop of China and Hong Kong.
Hot dog and mill crepe of Doutor is recommended.
I seem Cafe Veloce as well as similar to the atmosphere of the photo.
Stores outside of Tokyo there are a few, Segafredo ZANETTI also recommended.
It is a chain, such as bar of Italy.
Komeda is also good, I thought the atmosphere of the store is different.
(Because it is a mountain hut style)
Because I live in Kanagawa, I went in Ebina, Atsugi.
There to Sangenjaya of Tokyo I know.
If you go to (maybe) to 11 in the morning, and ask for coffee, salad and bread comes automatically. (Just coffee fee)

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/9 03:23
ªSorry.
When you order a drink before 11:00 morning, boiled eggs and toast along with the drink.

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/9 13:09
Japan loves cafes and it's hard to go too far without running into one.

As previous people have said, there are some big chains that you will see everywhere.. and I like Doutour for their Breakfast sets.

But some of the best cafes I've been to have been ones that I've sort of wandered into by accident or a friend brought me to but they aren't chains. They tend to have the most atmosphere and character.

I should also say that I recently went to a Komeda (In Shiga-ken) and was far too amused by the cute cups that the milkshake and crean soda was served in.
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/9 18:19
Sorry, I should have mentioned which have really good hot americano coffee; and are they all free wi-fi provided ?
While I like the ambience and design in Starbucks, their coffee is the worst in Singapore, China or Malaysia.
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/9 18:49
Another Japanese chain that doesn't appear to have been mentioned yet is Saint Marc Cafe, which specializes in pastries.

I don't think any of the chains other than Starbucks offer free WiFi, and note that you need to pre-register for Starbucks (you need email access to register).

In general, "American coffee" in Japan means weak filter coffee. Starbucks at least serves proper Americano, and Segafredo does a Caffe Lungo instead of Americano.

I don't think you'll find any Singaporean or Malaysian style coffee in Japan now that the sole Ya Kun Kaya Toast outlet at Lalaport Toyosu has closed, but if you do stumble across anywhere please post here!
by Kopi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/10 07:37
WOW, this is going to be a must for us, we live on coffee...

(espresso or short black depending on what you call it) also would they be making the good old 'Flat white' or 'Latte'?

Looking forward to our daily fix
Regards
by letsgotravel rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/10 08:53
OP was looking for famous coffee shop chains in Japan.

If you're looking for good espresso, you might want to check out some of the new espresso bars that have been opening over the past couple of years. Here's a list for Tokyo: http://www.bento.com/r-kiss.html

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/10 13:19
By the way, I heard that James Freeman (Blue Bottle Coffee) loves some cafes in Tokyo like Chatei Hatou near Shibuya Station.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/10 17:04
Which is the coffee chain that halo mentioned, when you buy a coffee before 11am, you get toasts and eggs free ? So good ?

No, I am not looking for Singaporean or Malaysian type of Chinese-style traditional coffee or "white coffee" like those sold by "Ya Kun".
I am looking for western-style coffee like those you find in Europe.
I love the quality of Pacific Coffee Cafe. They are thick and genuine, not light watery type like Starbucks.
I am told Japan cafes are not really good for coffee; is it true ?
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What are the famous cafes in Japan? 2013/9/10 22:25
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the chains - I'm not fond of the coffee or the food. I drink Starbucks in the U.S., and usually just stick with that. But if you are looking for breakfast, I recommend Mister Donuts, the coffee is average, but the different donut flavors are a lot of fun for me.

Other than that, I would definitely recommend hitting the independent places. You can find some really good coffee out there. Even when the coffee is average, these can be nice places.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread