Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

UK plugs / adapter confusion 2013/9/10 20:47
Hi! Thanks for clicking on my question :)

I'm going to Japan from the UK soon, and I'm bringing my laptop, camera, hair straighteners etc. If I've got this right, the appliances that say 230v won't work in Japan unless I get a voltage transformer... right? And I guess those aren't really worth getting just to straighten my hair heh.

I was also planning to bring a couple things that use the UK shaver plug (two round pins) and 115v... would those work with just a normal plug adaptor?

If anyone from the UK knows the best way to use our stuff in Japan, I'd really appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!
by bananana (guest)  

Re: UK plugs / adapter confusion 2013/9/11 11:51
you need to look on the power adapters, it needs to say 110-240v 50/60hrz.
by pas7680 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK plugs / adapter confusion 2013/9/11 12:06
If I've got this right, the appliances that say 230v won't work in Japan unless I get a voltage transformer... right?

Correct

And I guess those aren't really worth getting just to straighten my hair heh.

Probably not. Its probably cheaper to just get a new hair straightener in Japan. Plus the converters tend to be big, heavy and expensive.

I was also planning to bring a couple things that use the UK shaver plug (two round pins) and 115v... would those work with just a normal plug adaptor?

If its only 115v input it may or may not work with just an adapter. Can't really say for sure.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: UK plugs / adapter confusion 2013/9/12 11:18
Laptop plugs will generally be mulit-voltage, but check the plug. If so, then you just need a simple cheap adapter.
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK plugs / adapter confusion 2013/9/13 19:45
Thank you for the help!
by bananana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK plugs / adapter confusion 2013/9/17 02:58
Two blade Type A is most common yet.
http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity.htm#plugs_a
Do not bring power hungry appliances(& motors) like the hair dryer, straightener, etc. unless you buy a heavy weight transformer, not a light high frequency travel converter. It may take a little longer to charge your low voltage electronics like camera, video cam, shaver, laptop, etc.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: UK plugs / adapter confusion 2013/10/1 04:44
@amazinga
Charging low-power electronics takes just as long in Japan as it does in the UK. Since the power adapters for them are almost always multi-voltage from 100V (which is what Japan has) all the way to 250V.

It makes no difference what you put in them, they will always spew out 500mA, or 1000mA, or whatever they are rated for. Only when you connect a device that is designed for 230V specifically, it won't work properly on Japan's 100V. It won't break, but it won't be of much use.

So check the voltages on your devices. If they can take 100V, you are good to go with an American power cord, or a passive American plug adapter. (American plug = Japanese plug, but American ones are easier to ask around for)
by thany rate this post as useful

Re: UK plugs / adapter confusion 2013/10/1 14:43
Nothing I have from Britain fails to work in Japan. Most thigs these days are multi-voltage.
I'd guess the hair straighteners possibly wont work though, its heating stuff like that which tends to have issues. Though often its not so much doesnt work at all as works at half power
by Fantastik rate this post as useful

Re: UK plugs / adapter confusion 2013/10/2 01:07
Should not be an issue with the computers and such. Worst case scenario it'll take longer to charge and heat up the charger a bit more.
The hair straighter may be an issue as it will probably not get up to temperature as it is basically a pure resistive load.
by PaxJes rate this post as useful

reply to this thread