Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/14 19:42
Hi
i'm interested in going to Japan sometime during the next few years and am wondering would I still be able to go with a criminal record, which may I add is wiped out at the beginning of next year. It was for a public order offence in 2009. I payed the fine and have not got in trouble since. Also may I add I had never got in trouble before 2009 either.
So I am wondering would I be allowed to visit Japan or do you think they would turn me away.
I won't be able to go for at least 4-5 years anyway. Of which would of being past the record being wiped out and would of being 8-9 years since I would of being in trouble.
by chilladelphia  

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/15 18:01
If you have ever used any type of illegal drugs and criminal recorded, the Japan Customs never allow you to enter into JP forever. The other minor criminal can be accepted, I guess.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/15 19:25
If in doubt - contact the local Japanese embassy or consulate. That way - you should get a formal answer.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Yes, do ask the Embassy 2013/9/15 22:03
tokyo friend 48,

Check out Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones and many others.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/15 22:59
Don't compare Paul McCartney and a tourist.
Is a tourist invited by the concert or music fes organizer? Does a tourist carry an offer for a confirmation from an organizer? Don't advice anything from your imagination.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/16 11:12
Just to correct an often-repeated misconception... Japan Customs are just worried about whether you have beef jerky (or more illegal substances) hidden in your luggage. It is the Immigration Bureau that decides whether you may be admitted into the country.
by Mr Pedantic (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/16 13:23
tokyo friend 48,

I just thought that I should point out that "never" is an incorrect imagination and that the OP never said (s)he is "just a tourist." No offence was intended.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/27 19:43
I have no experience about this, but here are some thoughts:

There is no way Japan customs could know about such a minor offense, and no-one is going to tell them either, especially if it's going to be wiped, so I'd just go there and not worry. Now if you tell them yourself, there is always a chance that they won't let you enter, so I'd keep my mouth shut.

by tolkkizz rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/27 21:29
There is no way Japan customs could know about such a minor offense

There isn't? And how "such" do you know about this person's crime?

Why do we keep hearing about people being taken to "another room" at airports, then?

But I do actually know people who have gone back and forth countries, multiple times, after being thrown in jail.

You just have to come on your own risk. But if you have finished your sentence and have been obeying the law, then the worst that could happen is to be sent back to your own country again without being able to enter Japan.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/28 00:39
"There isn't? And how "such" do you know about this person's crime?"

Well, unless the op is lying, he said that he only had to pay a fine, and the record is going to be wiped, so to me it sounds like a minor offense. So when he goes to Japan, he's record will be clean and I don't think they keep track of people who have been fined years ago. Of course I can't be 100% sure.

People who are taken to "another room" at airport, are usually carrying something illegal, or are wanted criminals.

by tolkkizz rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/28 02:27
Okay, the only experience I have is arrival at Narita Airport a few months back. I can tell you the arrival procedure is as follows:

- You disembark the plane, and head to Customs.

- At Customs, they scan your Passport, you put your fingers on a pad, and look dorectly into a camera, and they snap your picture and take your fingerprints at the same time.

- I believe that they check you in the computer at this point. Once you are clear, they allow you to pass and collect your luggage.

- After you stop at a baggage scanner and have a chat with a Customs Officer, you're free to leave Narita.

If something shows up when they look you up in the system, they might prevent you from leaving the USA in the first place.

However, I know in Canada that if you apply for a passport and you have a criminal record you'll have an issue getting a passport in the first place.
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/28 06:56
Immigration is where you get your fingers scanned and customs is AFTER you get your luggage and head out to the lobby area of the airport.
by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I go to Japan with minor criminal record? 2013/9/28 14:27
tolkkizz,

You're right, the OP is not coming to Japan "with" a criminal "record."

By the way, for example, some people with a (real) criminal record have been guided to another room just to be inspected or just to avoid complications. In other words, they may not be actually "carrying" anything, but the customs may be suspicious against them.

But again, if the record is "wiped off," then there would be no way for customs to know about this record.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread