Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does castella need to be refrigerated? 2013/9/18 15:58
Hi,

I will be in Nagasaki at the end of the month. Since they are so well-known for their castella I was hoping to pick some up as a souvenir. But if they need to be refrigerated then it's out of the question. And if they don't need to be refrigerated would anyone know how long they keep for?

http://japan-hub.com
by L (guest)  

Re: Does castella need to be refrigerated? 2013/9/18 18:30
It does not have to be refregarated at all. It is OK for 12 to 26 days, depends on the products. You have to ask about the best-beore date when purchase.
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does castella need to be refrigerated? 2013/9/18 18:52
Different makers would have somewhat differing "best before" dates/period. I just looked at the website of Bunmeido (a very well-known brand), for example, and their online store says their "best before" date is about 12 days from the date of dispatch. So if you buy it in person from a store, it's probably 15 - 18 days or so.

I believe it comes in a sealed package inside the outer wrapping. Once you start cutting slices (once you open it), I believe it is better kept in a fridge and consumed soon. It contains eggs.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does castella need to be refrigerated? 2013/9/20 07:46
Thank you very much for your answers. Since I will be going to Nagasaki at the start of my trip I probably won't be picking up any castella as souvenirs. But I will certainly be eating my fair share when I'm in Nagasaki!
by L (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does castella need to be refrigerated? 2013/9/28 13:32
You can buy castella anywhere. Go to the Dept store basements and you'll usually see it. This is what I do, on my last day I go to the department stores in Ginza (or any good ones will do) and buy beautifully packaged food gifts for family & friends. Famous brands from all over Japan are represented: cakes, omanju, chocolates, wagashi, senbei.
by LiLee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread