Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/20 20:29
I can only think of the sentos and onsens.
I found several threads discussing tattooed customers entering public bathhouses and onsens but none show where are those that encourage tattooed customers.
Being Japan, I am sure there are special places for special people, arn't there ?
Where can I find them ?
by Lee (guest)  

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/21 13:32
Lee,

I am sure there are special places for special people, arn't there ?

Of course there are, but if those "special people" are the outlaws, then the special places for them are usually off-limits to those living along the law.

By the way, are you hoping to see yakuza? Or are you hoping to see authentic tattoos?

If it's the latter, you can often see them upon traditional festivals held in the older districts of cities. Traditionally, craftsmen such as carpenters used to commonly wear tattoos, and this culture was stronger in the older part of town such as Asakusa.

Today, rumor has it that many of these tattooed people are yakuza rather than craftsmen, but they wouldn't openly say so, because official yakuza groups are usually against the by-law.

That said, festival parades where strong men carry shrines or floats are often opportunities for them to show off their tattoos.

On the other hand, bath houses are probably one of the most difficult places to hunt them, because for one, you'll never know if they're there until you get yourself butt naked and go in there yourself. And you need to be a guy.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E7%A5%AD%E3%82%8A+%E5%88%BA%E9%9D%9...
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/21 19:54
I'm pretty sure Uco, there are some yakuza-women also, just need to look harder.
by Module (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/21 19:55
I'm pretty sure Uco, there are some yakuza-women also, just need to look harder.
by Module (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/21 21:48
Create a disturbance in a red light district and they will find you.
by kk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/22 00:15
In case you find an yakuza onsen...I'd think twice. Not sure yakuza are too fond of foreigners.
by APajo rate this post as useful

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/22 00:38
Well, I was just kidding about needing to be a guy. In fact, you do have a chance of seeing women in authentic tattoos if you go to these tradional festivals.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&bi...

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/22 05:02
If you get yourself arrested, you'll go to the lockup where you will see lots of special people with tattoos. Maybe yakuza, maybe not.

Um, and hey, yakuza aren't a tourist attraction. They're criminals. Don't be stupid.

If you're genuinely interested in the old ways of Japanese tattooing, google it first and you might find some links to help you along that way. But going to Japan and trying to "see" yakuza like they're part of the scenery is stupid at best.

That's like coming to Canada and asking to "see" the Hells Angels Motorcycle Clubhouse. If you do, it will be very, very briefly and you won't be happy with the results.
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/22 13:43
Last year, a friend of mine's took me to a club in Shibuya, since I'd never been to one in Japan, not being much if a clubber. It had one section for sitting and it was for women only. If a man tried to go in that section, the bouncer guys would tell them to stay back. The place also didn't serve any food, only drinks. Anyway, after a while some guys came in. Very casually dressed. The bouncers and workers seemed to go out and beyond to make these guys comfortable. They even were allowed to sit in the women's section. They were beside us in the next section.

They had food brought out to them and champagne (wasn't on the menu).

I can't help but wonder if they were Yakuza. I've heard that they run clubs or something like that.
by SSJ Jup81 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/23 01:19
Well, I did "encounter" a big group of Hells Angels on the public highway of Vietnam and we exchanged smiles when we saw them again at a cafe. They were nice people.

True yakuza aren't supposed to annoy the "civilians." But yeah, that doesn't include civilians who try to dig too deep into their "territories."

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/23 03:11
Uco, you're correct. The HA aren't going to attack you if you look at them funny on the street, but nobody really goes looking for them either.

I just think the OP is kind of treating Yakuza like they're a tourist attraction, which is a bad, bad idea.

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/23 03:58
Why I cant I treat it as an attraction as a 2-in-1 ? I like to see how tattooed Yakuzas are like and I am sure the best place in the onzen or bathhouse when everyone is naked.
I am not going to disturb them or get them annoyed in any manner.
I must have read somewhere where some local bathhouses are more frequented by tattooed people since most don't allow them.
In Thailand and Myanmar, I find monks an attraction. In Japan, I think Yakuzas and Geishas are an attraction too.
by Lee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/23 06:25
Lee, they are criminals. Not a tourist attraction. You never know what might happen if you start trying to get in their way in an attempt to see some body art. Don't take the chance.

Speaking of which, geisha can be classified as a tourist attraction because there are certain places you can go in Kyoto to observe and even participate in parts of the geisha lifestyle and culture. Doing so with Yakuza would be dumb, and could end up with you in jail or worse.

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/23 11:18
Monks (including those in Thailand and Myanmar) aren't an attraction and neither are geisha and yakuza.

Yes, people do find them amusing, but apart from the "tourism geishas" they are serious business people heading for their restricted appointments.

It's up to the person to enjoy watching them, but not all of them enjoy being watched.

It's just like handsome traders in Wall Street or movie stars on their days off. They're fun to look at, but they're not necessarily there for you, and many do not with to be disturbed.

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/23 18:38
Don't worry. I will not observe or watch them till they get irritated. Please read my OP well. Some of you misunderstood or over reacted.

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/23 19:13
I just read your last post well and you said you won't watch them "till they get irritated". And what can you possibly mean by that? You're just going to watch them until they get irritated or after they do, because both situations cannot be pleasant.

I would just stay away and wait for a festival where you will see them "undressed" and possibly carrying a mikoshi. I can't remember the name of that festival, but I have seen it in the documentary :Japanland".
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

fes 2013/9/23 22:38
There's a lot of these festivals. Sanja Matsuri is among the (in)famous ones.

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/23 22:50
There was one of those types of festivals in Sagae, Yamagata not too long ago, I heard. I remember seeing one about three years ago in Yamagata city, but I can't recall seeing any tattoos right off.
by SSJ Jup81 rate this post as useful

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/24 04:00
John,

MY sentence is clear. I can't make it any simpler and I don't understand yours.
BTW, will this Sanja Matsuri happens everyday and anywhere ? I am not in Japan whole year round and anywhere but I can easily find a sento in every town/city, I believe.

Re: Where to see real tattooed yakuzas? 2013/9/24 05:19
Lee, your sentence is not clear at all or it describes the opposite of what you wish to do. Please read it over again and explain what you mean.

I will not observe or watch them till they get irritated. So when they do get irritated, probably with you, then what? Are you going to run away? Perhaps you meant to say that you will watch or observe then until they get irritated and then you'll leave?

by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 26

1 2
next

reply to this thread