Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese brand name for otc antiacids? 2013/9/20 23:22
Hello people, hope you can help me. I always take something called Riopan (magaldrate, dimethicone) for my gastritis problem and it works fine. I thought I would be able to find it in Japan but I couldnt. Right now I would settle with a pepto bismol, melox or gaviscon, but I couldn't find them in Tokyo. My stomach is bothering me and I don't have health insurance. So my question is,, is there an equivalent for this meds in japan? could you tell me the name in japanese? I need liquid because tablets don't work for me. I bought tablets called gasta 10 and they didn't work. Is there a place where I can get this stuff? I was going to buy pepto at amazon.jp but my friend told me it is going to be very expensive to ship. Any piece of advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
by Mike (guest)  

Re: Japanese brand name for otc antiacids? 2013/9/21 12:32
You had better go to the hospital is safe rather than try the medicine blindly
by masa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese brand name for otc antiacids? 2013/9/21 13:35
The only place I can think of for Pepto Bismol is American Pharmacy. One location is in Marunouchi Building right by Tokyo station (it's in the basement).

I cannot find an immediate equivalent containing magaldrate. Dimethicone seems to be used in some prescription medicine, but not in OTC.

Is that against burning sensation in the stomach, gases in the stomach, or rather for diarrhea type of symptom? If you could give me the symptoms, I can give you the words in Japanese, so you can go to a drugstore and tell them the symptoms, and they can recommend you some OTC medicines.

Oh, I found one wih dimethicone (and lactic acid bacteria)... "Benatura" by Wakamoto Pharma.
http://www.wakamoto-pharm.co.jp/benatura/product.html

A similar one: "Gasupitan." As the name suggests, it is supposed to improve gases in the stomach/intestines. Contains dimethylpolysiloxane, the same substance as dimethicone.
http://www.kobayashi.co.jp/brand/gaspitan/product.html

Another one "Rappa Seichou-yaku BF":
http://www.seirogan.co.jp/products/bf/index.html

Unfortunately they all come in tablet form. But if you take printouts of these pages, and ask if they have anything similar in syrup form, you might be able to get something. Take care.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese brand name for otc antiacids? 2013/9/22 10:05
pepto bismol contains bismuth subsalicylate, whereas Japanese pharmacist don't use bismuth subsalicylate. They use bismuth subnitrate instead.

I strongly recommend you to go and see a medical doctor but if it's impossible to do, I recommend you to buy

"Akuromin Capsul A Tables 20" from Kobayashi Seiyaku
http://www.kobayashi-yk.co.jp/category_06/301/

Akuromin Capsul A contains bismuth subnitrate but is not a popular medicine. You need to visit chemists and ask if they have some stocks of this medicine. It cost you around 1,200 YEN per box(20 tables).

There is no liquid stomach medicine sold in JP(it used to be sold 10 Years ago just in short term).

I don't think Gasta 10 will work for your stomach. Gasta 10 doesn't contain bismuth subnitrate.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese brand name for otc antiacids? 2013/9/27 18:13
Thank you guys, that is very good information. Luckily my stomach stopped acting up. I changed my food habits, which is something I do when my stomach gets like this. This is a problem I've had for a long time and it comes and goes. It is not a burning sensation. It is like a stabbing pain in the upper stomach, right in the mouth of the stomach, sometimes it reflects to the back. I've been to doctors and some think it's my gall bladder (family history problems with gall bladder) that causes some kind of vile reflux and hurts my stomach, I've never had an endoscopy done because my doctor said my symtoms were not severe. They told me to just follow a good diet. For some reason, only liquid medicine such as Riopan, melox, pepto, etc... make the discomfort go away (whenever there is discomfort) Tablets don't work. I think the liquid forms somekind of protective coat inside the stomach whereas tablets just deal with the acids. I went to the american pharmacy and they don't have nothing either. I was kinda shocked because in Japan there is so many brands of international cigarettes and beer but not a single pepto, melox etc... ha. But anyway, thank you very much for your answers, as I said the problem is controled now and I found a japanese site that sells liquid pepto for about 3000 yen shipping included. Maybe I will tell my mom to send me some Riopan ha. Thanks again.
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread