Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Making local calls in Japan 2013/9/22 16:19
I will be traveling in Japan for a month, I may have many local calls to make while outside and I don't to make use of my phone due to high roaming charge. I am told Japan don't sell sim card for a number. What can I do ?
Can a portable wi-fi make local calls ?
Will it be convenient to use public phones ?
Will public phones accept coins or do I need to buy any special card ?
by Lee (guest)  

Re: Making local calls in Japan 2013/9/26 08:52

Yes, as soon you have n internet conenction, you can use Skype or similar software to call Japanese phone numbers.

No, I would not call it convenient because they have become less common and have to be dealt with coins or phone cards.

I believe that most will accept coins and cards, but I have not used one in years, and my knowledge may not be up-to-date.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Making local calls in Japan 2013/9/26 18:14
I am told Japan don't sell sim card for a number. What can I do ?

It is possible to rent sim cards, or get prepaid sim cards to use with your own unlocked phone. You could also rent a mobile phone.

Yes, in conjunction with a smartphone/laptop and the proper software such as skype.

Its not terribly, but your own mobile will be the most convenient of course.

Coins should be fine for local calls. Though if I recall correctly some require cards for international calls.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread