Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wind display in Sakishima Building, Osaka 2013/9/27 22:45
Heyo,
I found the picture of a wind display of some sort in one of the top floors of the Sakishima prefectual buildings in west part of Osaka. Sorry for the bad quality of the picture but maybe you recognize it anyway...

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2ldjx0.jpg
by Jojo (guest)  

Re: Wind display in Sakishima Building, Osaka 2013/9/29 13:06
What is your question? It shows how fast and strong the wind is blowing at that moment.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wind display in Sakishima Building, Osaka 2013/9/30 12:52
That apparatus for reducing vibration of the building.
by masa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wind display in Sakishima Building, Osaka 2013/10/2 03:26
It's really not for knowing the windspeed par say, but for the earthquakes. During the earthquake, the anti-seismic device on the building calculates the vibration not only from the ground but also the strength and the direction of the wind in real-time and the adjust the resistance of the pillars I suppose. It says on the board that this system can reduce the effect of the wind in half.
by jomonstrider (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wind display in Sakishima Building, Osaka 2013/10/2 04:04
It has nothing to do with the earthquake. Very high buildings can be affected by the strong winds, and the display is showing how the building is controlling itself against the wind, to minimise the sway or something. When the very strong typhoon hit Tokyo last year (no, was it 2-3 years ago?), the building I was in really swayed, just like it did on March 11 (Tohoku earthquake). I was surprised because I've been working in that building over 20 years and had never experienced it before.
The system of the building to prevent swaying must be similar to anti-vibration in case of earthquake, though.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wind display in Sakishima Building, Osaka 2013/10/2 10:27
I agree with jomonstrider. The circle shows the speed, strength and direction of the wind, and on the top right it shows how much the top of this building is vibrating, while the bottom right shows how much it would have been vibrating if it weren't for this control system.

The explanation at the bottom clearly says that this is for controlling the vibration against the wind. It says nothing about earthquakes, which vibrates from the ground as opposed from the air.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread